Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the word 'BLACK'

Options
  • 01-06-2014 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. Hoping you can help with a word and it's use.

I spent some of my formative years in Ireland and I'm remembering words and the context they were used in.

For example 'Deadly' meaning very good. There are other and I don't know if it would be a good continuation of this thread to discuss words from the recent past that are used less often these days.

So the word I'm wanting help with is 'BLACK'. I'm sure I can remember people using this word to describe areas busy with people. I'm starting to doubt myself on this but I'm sure I can remember my Dad saying things like ' yeah, the pub was black tonight' in answer to a question. And also, 'mass was black today'.

If I do have the correct use of the word can anybody help with the really important bit - where this use of the word derived from ?

I have only one idea where it came from and why it's used by I doubt I'm correct so can you please chip in with your two cents.

Or is there a different thread that I should pose this question ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

'Black' is used in this context, the pub was black with people, etc. The first day of college of every year is called Black Monday for this reason.

As far as I'm aware the above example is also where it derived from. It was so crowded it was black, you couldn't see in front of you. That's how I always understood it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Does this not come from the Irish phrase "Dubh le daoine"?

Wilberto wrote: »
    Does this not come from the Irish phrase "Dubh le daoine"?

Which translates as 'black with people'. Not sure which came first though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, I use it in kind of an infectiony way.

eg: The pub was black with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

I guess it's just an innocent old adjective for crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

FunLover18 wrote: »
    'Black' is used in this context, the pub was black with people, etc. The first day of college of every year is called Black Monday for this reason.

As far as I'm aware the above example is also where it derived from. It was so crowded it was black, you couldn't see in front of you. That's how I always understood it.

This is what I thought too but I can't get any clarification on it.

tomaussie wrote: »
    This is what I thought too but I can't get any clarification on it.

I can clarify that it 100% used in this context in Ireland. It does come from the Irish "dubh le daoine" which has a nice alliteration. Talking to my dad recently about it he also pointed out that back in the day a lot of men would have worn dark hats giving the phrase a much more literal sense, and also when you consider black and white photos/films crowds of people would appear in dark colours

Advertisement