Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with Morton's Neuroma

Options
  • 31-05-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Has anyone any tips for a fellow sufferer? Do you find icing effective? As a mid/forefoot runner I need max support in the front part of my running shoes. Can anyone recommend a shoe with max cushioning there? I do not have any other foot problems so a neutral shoe would be fine. Not looking for medical advice, have decided not to interfere and manage it myself for now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Had this problem a few years ago. Sorted by wearing a shoe with a wide toe box and keeping the laces on the lower half of the shoe loose. Not only running shoes but your day to day wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Had this aswell. Very painful. As Gerard_65 said, a wide toe box is important. I also used a metatarsal pad to relieve pressure. This was very effective. I switched to Brooks Glycerin.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Have this at the moment too. How did you make the diagnosis? Actually I'm not sure if this is what I have or capsulitis, symptom s v similar. I've got mortons toe. Going to try and get a scan

I'm training for a half marathon and hoping it won't affect me too much. I'm limping after every run and find walking painful too

Getting new runners next week and going to try insoles too. Using an anti inflammatory and pain killers too which help a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

frogstar wrote: »
    Have this at the moment too. How did you make the diagnosis? Actually I'm not sure if this is what I have or capsulitis, symptom s v similar. I've got mortons toe. Going to try and get a scan

I'm training for a half marathon and hoping it won't affect me too much. I'm limping after every run and find walking painful too

Getting new runners next week and going to try insoles too. Using an anti inflammatory and pain killers too which help a little bit

Went to a Podiartist.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

My podiatrist said I had tight calfs and gave me exercises to do which haven't worked one bit so that's why I think it's this or capsulitis

Will book another appointment and try to get an xray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Physico.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tiegan

Hi there, actually made my own diagnosis after lots of research and finding a few friends who have it and more friends who thought they did and it turned out they had a different foot problem. Compared symptoms and ruled everything else out slowly but surely. Mortons toe and Mortons neuroma are not usually linked, but that does not mean to say you cannot have both.
    Mortons toe and Mortons neuroma are both named after different doctors who both happen to have the same surname. Think this is where a bit of confusion lies. I do not have mortons toe. I cannot walk barefoot on my left foot at all, hurts like hell towards the outside of my foot on the sole around the 3rd/4th toe joint. Feels like a sharp pain (ie nerve) as opposed to muscle or fascia pain. As soon as I put a comfortable pair of shoes on the pain goes straight away. Cannot wear thin soled shoes.
    At the moment mine is reasonably manageable, but have a couple of friends who have had it longer and are in considerably more pain than me and who are considering surgical/cryosurgery options. Luckily I am not yet at this stage.
    I do find that if I run more than 4 times a week or up the mileage too much that it gives me more trouble, so am trying to do a fair bit of cross training to keep the status quo!

Advertisement