Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips to help progress my search.

Options
  • 31-05-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Searching for my adopted brother, this is the information I had to date.

I have his adopted birth cert. showing adopted parents name, address. This was confirmed by the AAI and date of adoption order matched, so I know exactly who I'm looking for.

No marriage cert. no records.

electrol, just adopted father still living at the family address.

and that's basicly it.....

I would so so appreciate any help/tips on were to go from here. thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

rcdada wrote: »
    Searching for my adopted brother, this is the information I had to date.

I have his adopted birth cert. showing adopted parents name, address. This was confirmed by the AAI and date of adoption order matched, so I know exactly who I'm looking for.

No marriage cert. no records.

electrol, just adopted father still living at the family address.

and that's basicly it.....

I would so so appreciate any help/tips on were to go from here. thanks x

I think you might need to widen your search. It's possible he is abroad. You could use findmypast to check for a marriage. I'm not sure of the years they cover but worth a try. Even if he doesnt live abroad he may have married abroad like so many irish these days.

I would also expand my search in the Research room. If the father is the only one at the address, have you looked for a death cert for the mother? I hate to say it but I would also rule out a death cert for your brother. You may find an obituary online for the mother if she's dead and this could give you some family info. I found one for my bm's mother and got all the names for BM's brother and sisters. It was a pay per view one but well worth it.

Hope this info was somewhat helpful. Best of Luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A lot of libraries have free access to the Irish Newspaper Archive which may help.

Ancestry is good for births, marriages and deaths and Find My Past has some recent electoral rolls which helped my search. And both websites offer a two week free trial.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rcdada

thanks for the replies.

Yes I searched all the death notices online to find his mother's death but just haven't come across anything, I think I need to concentrate more on that because I am aware I may find other siblings etc..

Also, the gro confirmed he is not deceased so that helps.

But I do think he maybe abroad and of course could have got married aboard, its just were to start, so thank you for the replies I will definitely look at the findmypast and see how I get on. thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Hi rcdada,

If you have his name, address where he lived, and his date of birth then you have a lot of information to work with.

I can't offer you any advice other than start googling info about him etc and build up a profile, you never know what will turn up.

The very best of luck to you on your search!

Thanks Purelike,

I do have a lot of information full name and his old family address but I just cannot find anything else.... I have googled his name, parents name, address, linkedin... facebook... I just cannot find anything else....

I have no idea what else to do next... my problem is his name is a very common name first and surname....his adopted mother is not living at the home address but his father is, one possible route is finding a death notice but I just can't seem to find any.

I just have to keep trying the internet is a great tool but by googling his name so many people come up with the same name and his name and old address nothing...

I'll keep trying. thanks x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Do his adopted parents have any other children?
    Or indeed do his adopted parents have brothers and sisters?
    If so, perhaps you might be able to locate these people or their offspring.
    Perhaps by widening the search in that way you might be able to find him.
    This is something that helped me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the adopted father is still living there- its a good presumption that your brother grew up in the area.
    Find out about the local schools.
    Find out when he graduated.
    A little white lie about organising a reunion and wanting a current postal address, alongside name dropping of some of the kids who were in his class- might disarm the adoptive father, and persuade him to give you current contact details........?

Think creatively- and outside of the box- but come up with something plausible.

Well I have actually being thinking about going down that route and I have gone through the local schools looking at the graduation years, to see can I identify him.

But yes, it is most likely he grew up in that address seeing his father still is alive and lives there. And actually the other guy who I thought was my brother has been so helpful even though he lives in another country and he has forwarded me the landline number for his father which is great because its not in the phone book.

The waiting and the wanting is killing me. I think in this situation I might contact his father and enquire - not sure yet what i'll say but I should going down the old friend route possibly from school and see what happens. I'm getting nervous just thinking about it now but I can't let anymore time go by, he's 43yrs old so much time has already passed.

thank you for your responses x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I think you should first write to your brother at the fathers address and in the letter ask him to contact you for a catch up, giving your mobile number. At least if the father opens it first he hopefully won't cop on and may think its a school or college friend. With a bit of luck he will forward the letter. write 'please forward' on the envelope. I am just thinking of dhs mothers reaction if anyone contacted her about Dh by pretending to be someone else. I reckon she would be hurt by it. So although I think its a great idea to find your brother, maybe try a letter first (do it ASAP) and give it a couple of weeks to see if there is a reply.

Have you been to the town where he grew up? Even casually asking a local barman/pharmacist/post office clerk where he moved to might help (easier to pretend to them you are an old friend).

Thanks Gekko,

I think that's a great idea, I just have to put pen to paper now and I feel its definitely worth a try.

I haven't been to were he lives or I should say was brought up, its hard to believe but were both in Dublin but different sides of the liffey. So bizarre!!!

Thank you so so much for your advice, and your right I have to think about his family also, I just really hope he is in the country - I will be relying on his father to forward this letter and then wait and see if he'll contact me. My only issue is, it does feel wrong going about things this way but what other option do I have? I have a direct link his adopted father and I have to give it a try, i'll leave all my details and see what happens.

Thanks x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Wishing you luck. Hope he gets the letter and contacts you soon. Put a time limit on it for your own peace of mind. If you don't have a reply within a month for instance, then have your next step ready to put into action. Given that he could be abroad it could take a bit of extra time for letter to get to him and in turn for him to reply.

Advertisement