Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want To Get Involved, But Where To Start?

• 31-05-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi lads,

I've decided that this coming season is the one I'd like to start getting involved in the fantasy football aspect of the sport.

However, I have very little clue as to where to start in terms of finding out how the game works in terms of point scoring, best positions/players to target in a draft etc. Google searching brings up numerous different types of fantasy football games (dynasty and keeper for example) and I'll admit to being lost.

Is it possible for me to get involved in a league on Boards, and can anyone recommend a good guide which breaks the fantasy game down (specifically the type of game played on Boards) for a beginner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Try podcasts

ESPN have a good podcast, Matthew Berry & Nate Ravitz

There is another ones called Football Guys that put out hours and hours of podcasts every week. If you have the time it's worth a listen.

Just start off here, you'd be down in Division 7 or so. Of course you join! Spongey1975 will be looking for all new players and returning players to declare if they're in later this summer. Probably not that far away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cheers Mike. I usually listen to NFL podcasts on my daily run so I'll throw a few of those that you have suggested into my downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Paully I am actually shocked that you aren't already involved. I always assumed you were already taking part. Been on here many years on this forum and I am truly impressed the depth of knowledge some guys have picked up since joining the forum you included. Wont take you long picking up Fantasy. Mikemac is right podcasts give some of the best up to date info about.

Also as we use the NFL.com leagues for the Boards leagues: http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/fantasy101

Basic guide to how it works.

I'm looking to get involved as well when do ye start normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

TO. wrote: »
    Paully I am actually shocked that you aren't already involved. I always assumed you were already taking part. Been on here many years on this forum and I am truly impressed the depth of knowledge some guys have picked up since joining the forum you included.

I'd second this!! :)

Walterfootball.com is very much fantasy football based and constantly updating position rankings etc, gives weekly add & drops during the year.

also take no player advice from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Joemcn95

Same here been watching the play offs a few years but really got into them last season.

I know there will probably be a thread put up later for anyone who wants to join but just to throw the name in the hat early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Soon I would say mid June at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheFIFAking

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I've decided that this coming season is the one I'd like to start getting involved in the fantasy football aspect of the sport.

However, I have very little clue as to where to start in terms of finding out how the game works in terms of point scoring, best positions/players to target in a draft etc. Google searching brings up numerous different types of fantasy football games (dynasty and keeper for example) and I'll admit to being lost.

Is it possible for me to get involved in a league on Boards, and can anyone recommend a good guide which breaks the fantasy game down (specifically the type of game played on Boards) for a beginner?

The best way to learn is to do what you are doing here - join a league on a board where you can ask questions and discuss matters.

Then once you get to know the rules you can get a group of friends together than will enter a league with you, and you could be a commissioner yourself - a very good way to learn about all the different settings a league can have.

Advertisement