Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEACH FISHING OFF MAYO

Options
  • 31-05-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest a good beach off the Mayo coast, sand or shingle, that has easy/close parking as I can't walk very far. Also would need somewhere in the general area to buy lug or rag worms.

Having had the rods, tackle etc sitting in the house for many years unused I think it's about time that I got back into the hobby.:o

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can anyone suggest a good beach off the Mayo coast, sand or shingle, that has easy/close parking as I can't walk very far. Also would need somewhere in the general area to buy lug or rag worms.

Having had the rods, tackle etc sitting in the house for many years unused I think it's about time that I got back into the hobby.:o

Many thanks.

Bertra, Carrowniskey, Old Head, plenty of beaches around there, most with parking. Buy bait in A Shore Thing on the quay in Westport, Doug in there is great for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Many thanks Zzippy, all I need now is some reasonable weather.

Hi Zzippy,

Old Head I know, I remember having a look over there many years ago, but Bertra and Carrowniskey I don't know and can't find on a map, a few directions needed please.

Very confused.

Google Earth show both Bertra and Carrowniskey as being inland!:confused:.
    I'll get to the bait shop on Westport Quay and enquire there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

http://goo.gl/maps/r1Wil

see that long spit there north of bertra house. thats bertra beach. beware the beach car parks might be under reconstruction after the winter storms.

and a couple of points north of west of Lough Roonah is Carrowniskey beach. same applies re storm damage.

Old head is clear.

• Advertisement

Many thanks Budawanny, hoping to get over there sometime this week if the weather holds.

Advertisement