Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC/Nas Haswell Build

Options
  • 31-05-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Looking to make my first pc/htpc build ever, so i have been extra careful to research everything for the last few months and save up for the parts i need in the meantime.

What im looking to build is an all in one htpc/nas that will be located in the main tv viewing room.

I want low power usage as it will be on most of the time and lots of space for a large library of tv and movies with the option to transcode to other devices throughout the house.

I want to future proof this build with the possibility of light gaming down the road have no need for dvd or blu ray.

Will be using windows 7 or 8 with xbmc and plex.

So far this is what i have come up with:

Silverstone Grandia GD05 £80 - Stylish for the living room ( keeps the wife happy, quiet, decent room inside for build, usb 3.0 and plenty of storage.

Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell 2.9GHz LGA 1150 65W £120 -
    Overkill some might say but its future proof and will do everything i need of it including transcoding to multiple devices also has a decent integrated graphics card added bonus of being less power hungry.

MSI H81M-E33 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard £40 - GUI Bios for easy set up, good reviews and cheap.

CORSAIR CSM Series CS450M 450W £54
    - Haven’t researched enough on power supply but this psu is haswell ready and gold rated.

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD £54 - For the os.

Crucial 8GB £50 - Had not realised how much ram is gone up in price but this is the cheapest with the best reviews i could find.

WD Green 4TB - Low rpm saving on power usage, 1x 4tb to start off with.

So thats everything i think i need to have a fully built and capble htpc with the option of adding onto in the future.

Any suggestions or better prices on what i have found would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I like it,
    ..myself I would change the OS to SteamOS and add the Debian repos top get XBMC, plex and NAS software

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭randombar

I'm looking for similar myself. Wouldn't mind an extra couple of Sata ports on the board though.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭serious

Doing a first time build myself. How did you get on. I have ordered my parts all over the UK and used parcelmotel.Saved alot on shipping ( I hope)
    I got pretty similar spec
    attached isa link and photo of my parts
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I will only be using mine as a htpc. But like you I want to future proof with good quality parts.Got some advice on what to buy from various sources. The power supply i have is almost silent and very efficient. I can alway ad ram but I am told I wont need to. I also bought a flirc dongle which makes any remote work as your pc remote. https://flirc.tv/
    I initially wanted 4 core processor but was told I would be wasting my money unless I use those 4 cores with some full on programmes or gaming.
    With the right 1150 motherboard you can aways upgrade the psu in the future if you need to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭randombar

Was surprisingly straight forward.

I'm using 4 * HDD and I'm going to change that to 2 * HDD as the upkeep of 4 is crazy.

Also the case was bigger than I expected so I'm getting a smaller one now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057240079

Advertisement