Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Walk Among the Tombstones

Options
  • 31-05-2014 2:02pm

Another year another Liam Neeson action thriller, only this time it looks like there's something a little more interesting in play. Based on the novel by Lawrence Block it looks to be a gritty, 70s-esque hard boiled thriller and certainly looks to be streets ahead of any of the other big Studio thrillers this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So it stars Neeson and is about a kidnap plot obviously comparisons to Taken will be made as seem to done for any Neeson action film now :p

I'm not familiar with the book but the main character sounds like a Jack Reacher character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Not sure if anyone else reads his work but this looks like it could easily have been adapted from the Charlie Parker series of books by John Connolly.

Ex-Cop, Private Eye working fairly nasty cases with (what appears to be - imo) a slightly supernatural foe.

Like the Black Hole Sun cover too... very eerie sounding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Regret looking at the trailer now since it gives away most of the film and an important characters death.

quazzy wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else reads his work but this looks like it could easily have been adapted from the Charlie Parker series of books by John Connolly.

Ex-Cop, Private Eye working fairly nasty cases with (what appears to be - imo) a slightly supernatural foe.

Like the Black Hole Sun cover too... very eerie sounding

It's based on a Lawrence Block novel whom I'm sure would be an influence on Connelly.

Seems that both A Walk Among the Tombstones and The Equalizer have been cut to get a 15 cert in the UK so I would imagine that we will get the same version and the subsequent home releases will also be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

ugh, cuts..... up until this information I was convinced this would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So it stars Neeson and is about a kidnap plot obviously comparisons to Taken will be made as seem to done for any Neeson action film now :p

I'm not familiar with the book but the main character sounds like a Jack Reacher character

In the books he wouldn’t be a Jack Reacher type really. He’s the standard alcoholic ex-cop with a tragic background. There’s generally very little violence in the books, they’re PI procedurals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thanks for putting up that trailer.

any marketing ive seen on this has left me thinking its a cross between taken and paranormal activity !

least now i get a better idea what its about. i like this sort of stuff, so ill check it out. always like me a bit of neeson.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Saw this yesterday, and loved it!!!
    I knew kinda that it was going to be slightly something different to his usual, from the trailer, but was really surprised how much I liked it, 8/10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Saw this yesterday, and loved it!!!
    I knew kinda that it was going to be slightly something different to his usual, from the trailer, but was really surprised how much I liked it, 8/10 :)

Boom! Thats my movie sorted for the weekend. Although I cant imagine it'll top the sheer magnificence of Liam Neeson, classin' up and going all postal on a pack of wolves.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Went to see this tonight on 'date night'. Was not my choice of movie, and since I didn't enjoy taken I thought I'd hate this one too. A bit gruesome but I loved it. Was a super good film and I'd definitely watch it again. Liam Neeson played his part perfectly, and I didn't think it was at all predictable.
    The OH was a little disappointed, was expecting more dead people but IMO there was more than enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I was expecting good things but left disappointed. Felt it was very disjointed. Neeson was good, doing his usual role recently. Not sure what the point of the black kid was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Seen this last night, it was good but I was expecting something more towards the end, I found myself waiting for a twist or some clever turn but it just seemed to fizzle out and not really climax at all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Solid is the best I can say about it. It kept me entertained for the running time, Neeson was good and it was a different type of film to trash like unknown and taken 2. Just a an old fashioned detective story. Won't watch it again but perfect to pass an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I saw it and quite enjoyed it. Slight variation on a theme for Neeson,
    but the fact that he capped 4 people before the opening credits laid down a marker

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was expecting it to be abit more creepy and eerie to be honest, It was nice though to see just an old fashioned detective movie.

I would take a few more of these over more Taken movies saving his daughter at least there would be more interesting stories to tell from Block's novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Hated this film tbh. From the flat direction to Neeson's underwhelming performance to the pseudo-edgy sadistic violence and the utterly ponderous, self-serious tone. At least Non-Stop and Taken had a sense of camp ridiculousness to them, this is just dreary and unpleasant. A poor man's Se7en.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

God, it just plodded along. Awful pacing. Uninspired direction. What was that sub plot with the black kid all about?!? Numbed my mind with it's mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I was a bit disappointed. Neeson was great, but the film all seemed a bit rushed and the ending was drab. May have worked better as a longer television series.

Saw this earlier and I really enjoyed it, way more than I thought I would. Liam neeson is solid and all In all its pretty engaging.
    Definitely worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Knowing very little about this film, I took a chance and went to see it last weekend. While I wasn’t blown away, I enjoyed it a lot. It’s a (relatively) modern take on the private detective genre (minus the “femme fatale” – or for that matter, any notable female characters who weren’t victims or potential victims).

On the plus side, the characters were credible and well portrayed, the story was solidly plotted, the director got the pacing just right, maintaining tension and reaching the climax without any cliched or gratuitous twists.

I also really liked the camera-work: there were some beautifully composed shots of New York as it looked at the end of the last millennium.

Finally, while it was hinted at by one of the characters, there – thankfully – weren’t any supernatural or paranormal elements to the story.

• Advertisement

Actually great use is made of Donovan's song "Atlantis" in one scene.
    That song was used in Goodfellas as well if I'm not mistaken....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

tunguska wrote: »
    Actually great use is made of Donovan's song "Atlantis" in one scene.
    That song was used in Goodfellas as well if I'm not mistaken....

Yes, in the Billy Bats scene wasn't it?
    Anyway looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Was expecting a lot more from this after seeing the trailer. Agreed with previous poster about expecting this to be a lot creepier/supernatural and the subplot with the 'wise-cracking' kid is ridiculous. Overall watchable but thats about it, too many times it tries to be funny to the detriment of the film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Not as bad as Taken 2, (but then again few things are) and not as much fun as Non Stop (but far less ludicrous). This was a very lacklustre affair that just didnt do it for me.

Empire magazine seem to think it could be the beginning of a franchise. Lets hope not!

Terrible title too.

Not a fan.

4/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Agree the title is a little odd, and film was quite different than I expected. Overall, I actually really enjoyed it, nothing spectacular but solid performances kept it interesting. It's just a very watchable detective yarn.

A lot better than The Equalizer which I saw the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

I enjoyed this, its solid stuff and nicely shot.

If it was anyone else but Nesson I wouldn't have gone, he was well suited to the role. Good deal gory in the end which I thought was unnecessary.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

The very definition of a 2.5/5 star movie.
    Felt like a drawn out TV movie, far too many cliches & leads just dropping on his lap with no real work.
    Needed the Fincher touch & didn't get it.
    Downton Abbey guy has broken out of his mould nicely.

The Equalizer followed by A Walk Among the Tombstones made for a nice double bill of films starring the always dependable David Harbour. Among the Tombstones is one of those rare thrillers that isn't all that thrilling, the story is interesting but told in a long winded manner, it's a film where not a lot happens for extended periods of time, where relationships between characters are sketched rather than filled in and the finale has no real impact. You get the feeling that there's a great 70s action thriller in here but it's lost amongst all the blandness

Advertisement