Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigned from Job - Offered new position

Options
  • 31-05-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been working for a multinational engineering company for the past two years. However I have been offered another position from another large engineering company paying significantly more, offering better advancement opportunities and in a very lucrative area. Needless to say I have signed with the the new company and tendered my resignation from my current position giving the required notice period as stipulated in my original contract.

I've kept the resignation letter professional, thanked them for the opportunity skills and experience that I have gained.

I deliberately omitted the reason I'm leaving from the letter but my current employer is asking why I am leaving. Without trying to sound egotistical I would like to say that there are a number of other reasons such as the more talented engineers feel undervalued within the organisation and have a higher market value that what they are currently been paid. Some other engineers are very poor to be honest and simply turn to expect to get paid without contributing very little and are getting the same remuneration which has begun to bug me (and another engineer who has also tendered his resignation to leave to the same new employer).

Should I use the opportunity to inform HR of the other underlying issues or just say I have been offered a new better paid position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Were you being paid below the market rate ?
    That's safe enough to say to HR IMO.
    I wouldn't talk about your ex-colleagues though , and defo not in a resignation letter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'd play safe TBH.

If there's a decent exit interview, I'd consider dropping hints - otherwise I'd just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Don't burn your bridges. Nothing you say - on your way out the door - will change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies!

HR appear to be aware of some of the existing issues already and they are perceptive enough to realise that two engineers from the same team tendered their resignations within a 24 hour period :-p

Ill play it safe and not rock the boat too much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't burn your bridges. Nothing you say - on your way out the door - will change anything.

Agreed 100% you'll never know when you might need to call on someone there for a reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I would just call it career progression. They know what their issues are.

Advertisement