Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a SmartPhone for me?

Options
  • 31-05-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

How do folks , looking for advice.
    I had an iPhone 4s , and don't want to go back to Apple . I don't plan on ever buying any of their products tbh .
    I don't use my phone for music , at all , or for TV/Video , it's mostly for a bit of forum browsing on the go , googling stuff for work , bit of social media , and for taking pics for reference , to remind me of how something looked before I took it apart! Day job is repairing motorhomes/mechanic.

I'm not very easy on phones tbh , I have been known to drop them and break them , get them covered in dirt , oil , grease etc.... so I'll need to be able to buy a decent cover , otter-box style.

After the 2nd iphone broke , again , I reverted back to my old Samsung B2100 brick.

Priorities/must haves are ;
    good battery life , ideally more than 1 day on a charge.

Good speaker , so I'll hear it ringing .

Forward facing camera , I use it a lot in work for seeing stuff I can't get my head into .

Has to have a flash on the rear camera.

Bluetooth for the handsfree

3g , 4g isn't essential as I live in the schticks.

has to be reliable and not probe to crashing or freezing.

and lastly but most importantly , the smaller the better. I'd love something smaller than an iPh 4s , I accept that's probably unrealistic . I need it to fit into a Jeans pocket without dislocating my hip!

So far under consideration have been the Samsung Galaxy Fame / S3 mini
    Nokia Lumia 620 , Sony Experia z1 Compact . I know some are bigger , hence my hesitation .

TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Moto g would be my suggestion fame and mini screen resolution is dreadful keyboard take up the whole screen so typing forum posts etc is difficult small touchscreen is not good for chunky mechanic fingers either :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

I'll vouch for the 620, moved from my iPhone 4 to one most year, I'm an electrical engineer and electrician, and used it alot for looking in machines, advice ceilings etc...
    Camera is very good for the price, w/flash and front camera. Battery might only get the day though, and that's at a stretch. Maybe with brightness turned down, 3G of and WiFi unless you're using it, it should do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

By the way I highly recommend picking a few of these up incredible bright and you can focus the light to look right down bolt holes incredible. Local diy place is selling the same torches under lighthouse brand form €20:
    http://www.tmart.com/CREE-Q5-5W-500LM-3-Modes-Focusing-Flashlight-Torch-Black_p164564.html?aid=23849&utm_source=saff&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=self

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Ended up with a HTC One mini!

Advertisement