Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why blood tests are pointless

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

rom wrote: »

It seems that the cure to all these aliments is a hardcore Paelo diet. Motivation is the most important thing for any athlete.

Some may say this is a result of overtraining but actually its poor diet.

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

dna_leri wrote: »
    Says who?

Dr. Stephen Gangemi

all should equal some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Dr. Stephen Gangemi

all should equal some.
    Dr. Steve Gangemi practices holistic health care in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He uses various methods which bring together functional neurology, biochemistry, acupressure meridian therapies, applied kinesiology, and dietary and lifestyle-modification methods to get a person healthy again. Gangemi has a doctorate degree in chiropractic and bachelor degree in nutrition.

Dr. Gangemi, his wife MaryBeth, and kids Makayla, Ava Mae, and Paxton Fox, live in Chatham County, North Carolina where they grow many of their own vegetables, eat the eggs from their own hen house, keep bees for honey, and drink raw milk from a local organic farm.

Gangemi is known as the “Sock Doc” because he treats patients while wearing no shoes — just socks and as he says, “a white lab coat in my office to keep matters professional-looking.”

Must be true so.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Must be true so.

I invite you to listen to the podcasts before passing judgement. It makes a lot of sense to me. Perhaps I am misrepresenting it but there is a lot of sense in what he is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

As with all diets, you'll have one group of experts telling you it's fantastic and another group telling you it's a waste of time. Personally I think most of them are a waste of time. You don't need a fancy diet, stop eating processed crap, lay off the sweets an alcohol, get plenty of exercise and you'll be grand.

As for the blood tests, I've had one or two down the years and was always happy to believe what the doctor told me as regards the results. I haven't dropped dead yet and nothing has fallen off so I believe him.

• Advertisement

RonanP77 wrote: »
    As with all diets, you'll have one group of experts telling you it's fantastic and another group telling you it's a waste of time. Personally I think most of them are a waste of time. You don't need a fancy diet, stop eating processed crap, lay off the sweets an alcohol, get plenty of exercise and you'll be grand.

As for the blood tests, I've had one or two down the years and was always happy to believe what the doctor told me as regards the results. I haven't dropped dead yet and nothing has fallen off so I believe him.

Its not about dropping dead. Thats not why we get blood tests. It is to track changes over time. Reading your blog it seems you are new enough to the sport. Improper training and poor diet can have a big effect on people over a long period of time.

Tracking recovery level is just as important as the training you do as it is with recovery that people improve. Many on here run more than 7 times a week, do gym sessions etc also so proper recovery and good training is a thin line at times that has to be balanced.

Best of luck with your training log, your off to a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thats not why we get blood tests. It is to track changes over time. Reading your blog it seems you are new enough to the sport.
    Why would you need blood tests to track changes over time? I'd imagine that blood tests are really only required for elite-level athletes, or those who are unwell (i.e. to check for iron deficiency etc). For anyone else, it seems like a case of over-analysis paralysis. If you need blood tests because you are experimenting with a diet, you probably shouldn't be on that diet.

Why would you need blood tests to track changes over time? I'd imagine that blood tests are really only required for elite-level athletes, or those who are unwell (i.e. to check for iron deficiency etc). For anyone else, it seems like a case of over-analysis paralysis. If you need blood tests because you are experimenting with a diet, you probably shouldn't be on that diet.

I don't "need" them but if I am going to the doc I ask for one which is like every 6 months. I used to get sick very often to I do like to check my general health. I never go to the doc especially. Its not due to diet as I aint on any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

it seems like a case of over-analysis paralysis.
    Ah yeah but then their vertical oscillation would then be zero - that's good isn't it? :pac:

Personally I don't get the rationale behind frequent blood tests - unless it s a broad spectrum type testing - and even then would any danger signs be picked up on - and more importantly acted upon quickly?

But, if anyone wishes to use all available medical resources to them in the aim to prolong good health or improve well-being then more power to them. Living well / eating less processed foods would be a better preventative approach / bet in my uninformed opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

<rant about mix up of results back from blood testing labs and the interpretation of other results by GP's deleted as it just makes my blood boil a bit at the moment which I'm sure that's not good for me either>

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    <rant about mix up of results back from blood testing labs and the interpretation of other results by GP's deleted as it just makes my blood boil a bit at the moment which I'm sure that's not good for me either>

I had a doc saying that "there was no results to worry about" when it came to a test. I think it was for diabetes like a year ago as I have some of the symtoms. Thing was they had lost the test and he was talking BS. So I double checked when I went to my normal GP again and he was like "wtf we lost the results" and was very annoyed with the support staff. The difference between a good doctor and not in the same practice.

Advertisement