Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inexpensive Tablet for Backpacking?

Options
  • 31-05-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm heading over to South East Asia this summer and since my laptop is enormous and heavy, I was looking for a smallish tablet that I could email and browse with. I'd also be looking for something with a SD slot in case I get stuck in an airport or something and want to watch some films/TV shows.

I've been looking in Powercity/DID Electrical, etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Brian-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

Older nexus 7 can be cheap, small and tough. Smaller Galaxy tab is also solid enough and cheap enough these days.

Nowadays theres probably a good range of other cheap tablets. havent been in any shops looking in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Ya I'd probably go for the original Nexus 7. Good price, reliable and tough. Check out the bargain alerts forum on boards.ie You want something that's good but won't cost the bank if it's stolen, broken or your luggage gets lost.

I'd also make sure I'd backup photos etc to the cloud whenever I'm in free WiFi so if the worst happens you don't lose you holiday snaps and not have to worry about huge amounts of storage, SD cards etc.

Hope you have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Hey all,

I'm heading over to South East Asia this summer and since my laptop is enormous and heavy, I was looking for a smallish tablet that I could email and browse with. I'd also be looking for something with a SD slot in case I get stuck in an airport or something and want to watch some films/TV shows.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Brian-

What sort of price range do you have in mind?

What about size? 7", 8" or 10"(ish)?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

I was hoping for something less than €150 to be honest - something basic, but at the same time, won't stop working after a week!

I've had a look there for some cheap Nexuses but they don't see to have any external storage options. There seems to be a way of connecting an external harddrive with a mini-usb cable but it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time...

Not too concerned with size of the screen if that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I was hoping for something less than €150 to be honest - something basic, but at the same time, won't stop working after a week!

I've had a look there for some cheap Nexuses but they don't see to have any external storage options. There seems to be a way of connecting an external harddrive with a mini-usb cable but it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time...

Not too concerned with size of the screen if that helps!

http://touch.adverts.ie/tablet/google-nexus-7-32gb/5576890

Might be worth a look?

• Advertisement

If you want to keep it simple, and buy a known brand from a bricks & mortar retailer here in Ireland, the ASUS MeMO Pad 7 might be worth a look, about €160 in PCWorld. Nice enough screen for the price, and has that microsd slot you're after.

For a tenner less in PCWorld (and 20 less in DID), you'll get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7", but has only 8gb on board, compared to 16gb. That said, the microsd slot will take a 64gb card. I have the 8" version, and I'm pretty pleased with it, but the ASUS has a higher res screen. If I was in your shoes making a choice between the 2 on that budget, I'd probably lean towards the ASUS.

You can buy cheaper around Dublin, Yarvik and GoTab and the like, but they strike me as false economies.

If you're brave enough, there's the weird and wonderful world of Chinese imports, which will deliver a whole lot more bang for your buck, IF you choose correctly. I've never been brave enough! Depending on where your jumping off point is for backpacking in South East Asia, you might think about hanging on to your €150 and see what you can pick up over there, maybe load up a microsd card to take with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hey all,

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Brian-

The best tablet you can get would be the 2012 nexus 7.it has come down in price because there is a 2013 version out. You can get an otg stick for a couple of euros to watch all your movies/pics/music. You will need to download nexus media importer from the playstore for the otg cable to work. Good luck on your travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm a big fan of the Nook HD which you can get for about 95 euro. Doesn't have a camera or vibration, but does have an excellent screen, good battery life, SD slot, decent processing power, nice matte covering. It's my main tablet and I'd use it over a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab. Very easy to install a custom ROM if you wish also.

The only caveat is that you'll have to order it from the UK. http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/editorial/browse/NOOK_HD_products.jsp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

corwill wrote: »
    If you want to keep it simple, and buy a known brand from a bricks & mortar retailer here in Ireland, the ASUS MeMO Pad 7 might be worth a look, about €160 in PCWorld. Nice enough screen for the price, and has that microsd slot you're after.

I recommend this one. Best bang for buck from a big-name supplier. It's basically a Nexus 7 but with an SD card. Ignore any recommendations for an actual Nexus, as they don't have expandable storage.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Nook HD which you can get for about 95 euro. Doesn't have a camera or vibration, but does have an excellent screen, good battery life, SD slot, decent processing power, nice matte covering. It's my main tablet and I'd use it over a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab. Very easy to install a custom ROM if you wish also.

The only caveat is that you'll have to order it from the UK

That's a good shout, even the Nook HD+ 16gb is more or less on budget for the OP, and a 9" screen to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

corwill wrote: »
    That's a good shout, even the Nook HD+ 16gb is more or less on budget for the OP, and a 9" screen to boot.

Would have thought GPS and Camera was essential for travelling. I actually have the 9" Nook and think its the best value tablet on the market. Just didnt mention it as it has no GPS or camera.

Media999 wrote: »
    Would have thought GPS and Camera was essential for travelling. I actually have the 9" Nook and think its the best value tablet on the market. Just didnt mention it as it has no GPS or camera.

Better off with your phone for both those functions, I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Media999 wrote: »
    I'd say if you have a phone it's not a huge issue, many wifi networks locate you also.

I recommend this one. Best bang for buck from a big-name supplier. It's basically a Nexus 7 but with an SD card. Ignore any recommendations for an actual Nexus, as they don't have expandable storage.

The nexus 7 is made by Asus.in relation to the nexus 7 not having expandable storage.....did you not read my previous post about otg cables?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The nexus 7 is made by Asus.in relation to the nexus 7 not having expandable storage.....did you not read my previous post about otg cables?

Yeah, did you read the bit in the title about the guy going backpacking and the bit in his OP where he explicitly says he wants an SD card slot? Nobody wants to be messing with cables and external hard drives while travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Not sure about the Nook HD. I'd have though you'd need a front camera to skype (or similar app) people back home.

Yeah, did you read the bit in the title about the guy going backpacking and the bit in his OP where he explicitly says he wants an SD card slot? Nobody wants to be messing with cables and external hard drives while travelling.

its really not that messy, you can get a little usb stick with a mini hdmi to plug straight into the nexus 7. best tablet for his needs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

Hey all,
    Thanks a mil for the feedback, you've been a huge help.

Think I'm going to go with the Asus Memo - the cheapest one I can find is from Komplett.ie

http://www.komplett.ie/product/zkb-02tab/80012576/asus-memo-pad-hd-7-16gb/details.aspx

It's €129.99

Anywhere else I should be looking?

Cheers,
    Brian.

Hey all,
    Thanks a mil for the feedback, you've been a huge help.

Think I'm going to go with the Asus Memo - the cheapest one I can find is from Komplett

It's €129.99

Anywhere else I should be looking?

Cheers,
    Brian.

If that's what you've decided in, that looks like a good deal to me, not any cheaper on amazon, expansys, pcworld, argos, etc.

Advertisement