Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very long rods, poles used in Mediterranean shore/pier fishing

Options
  • 31-05-2014 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Was in Tel Aviv/Jaffa recently and again noticed lots of people fishing from the shore wall, rocks, and piers using VERY long rods and poles (i.e., sans reel) for float fishing. I'd like to give it a shot in Ireland.

Any takers on the best type of rod and model to emulate what I saw? I guess some kind of coarse fishing rod with revarnished rings for salt water use?

Pic attached.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Beachcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

i think the french use alot of 20ft plus rods for sea fishing in surf.

I know that coarse anglers use a long pole with a strong rubber band at the top for some species it has sections that you add on to go further

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Friendly_User

Your talking Mediterranean Surf Fishing there. Rods are 14ft + with casting weights of 3 - 7 oz (in general). You would be looking for a Surf Rod for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

nope, not a beachcaster or surf rod. These rods are in the float category. Very lite or more like a pole. Any online resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

uvox wrote: »
    nope, not a beachcaster or surf rod. These rods are in the float category. Very lite or more like a pole. Any online resources?

This is what you're looking for.

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole-12-16.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

40 ft!!! how cool is that! Want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You are looking for a Bolo or Bolognese Rod, Generally up to 20 -24 ft, they are telescopic and great for catching small to medium fish.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

yeah BOLO rods are what your talking about i think, you can get them dirt cheap online, sports direct have a few cheap ones, i use them for dapping mayfly, perfect for it.

Advertisement