Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this workplace bullying??

Options
  • 30-05-2014 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

:(Just hoping someone could advise me if I have a case as I`ve reported my supervisor to my manager accusing him of bullying, now HR are involved and I have a meeting with them next week and I`m up wall with nerves ......it will take all night to explain the reasons so I`ll try to make it brief...........

I`m currently in my job a year and 5 months ago I got a promotion. For the first month my new supervisor was sound then I went to the UK for a month for training , when I returned the mood had completly changed, I was only back 2 weeks when he berated me to a collegue in middle of department and within earshot of other staff........he told my collegue he was very unhappy with me and quote ' If I can get him out I will ' I don`t want to give the details of the role I have its very pacific but lets jut say I was working on one job and my supervisor felt I should be working on another.
    From then on he would be all chat one day ,next day I`d get the silent treatment while he chatted away to other staff members. I`d be pulled up on trivial issues.

I`ve tried to let it float above me and hoped that it pass in time unfortunatly during the week there was an incident that was the final straw........

I was gettiIng a hard time from him so much so that I said to 2 of my collegues that I felt he would try and fail one of my jobs.................
    My job involves inspecting equipment for faults we do incoming and out going inspections.
    So I inspected some incoming equipment found no fault. So later on that day he did an outgoing inspection on the same equipment and low and behold he had a concern about a particular specification on this equipment , he asked one of my collegues for a second opinion and my collegue felt that was within spec and ok to pass , this wasn`t good enough so he then asked my manager for his opinion ,my manager also felt it was within spec and ok to pass. He then called me over and told me it should have failed even though me collegue and manager ok`d it!

As a result of this I went to my manager (who is very pally with supervisor) and told him the stress I was under, how it was effecting my work and home life , how i wasn`t sleeping and dreaded coming into work.He showed no concern for me ,his only concern was that he was following procedure as bullying is a serious accusation.

Like i said theres a bit more to it but thats the main issue.
    All I wanted to do was have a chat with my manager in the hope he could sort it , now I`m being formally invited to a meeting with HR and I`m sick to the stomach that i`ve no real evidence or its his word against mine. Like I said I am only with the company a year, he is there 7 or 8 years ,is a former employee of the year ! and is very pally with my manager

Am I going to be looking for a new job shortly????????:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Yes look for a new job. Have you made any sort of buddies there OP? See what they are prepared to do for you. Ask nicely. Use the BH weekend wisely. All the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

gugleguy wrote: »
    Yes look for a new job. Have you made any sort of buddies there OP? See what they are prepared to do for you. Ask nicely. Use the BH weekend wisely. All the best..

Do you feel Ive no case??

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Just hoping someone could advise me if I have a case as I`ve reported my supervisor to my manager accusing him of bullying, now HR are involved and I have a meeting with them next week and I`m up wall with nerves ......it will take all night to explain the reasons so I`ll try to make it brief...........

I`m currently in my job a year and 5 months ago I got a promotion. For the first month my new supervisor was sound then I went to the UK for a month for training , when I returned the mood had completly changed, I was only back 2 weeks when he berated me to a collegue in middle of department and within earshot of other staff........he told my collegue he was very unhappy with me and quote ' If I can get him out I will ' I don`t want to give the details of the role I have its very pacific but lets jut say I was working on one job and my supervisor felt I should be working on another.
    From then on he would be all chat one day ,next day I`d get the silent treatment while he chatted away to other staff members. I`d be pulled up on trivial issues.

I`ve tried to let it float above me and hoped that it pass in time unfortunatly during the week there was an incident that was the final straw........

I was gettiIng a hard time from him so much so that I said to 2 of my collegues that I felt he would try and fail one of my jobs.................
    My job involves inspecting equipment for faults we do incoming and out going inspections.
    So I inspected some incoming equipment found no fault. So later on that day he did an outgoing inspection on the same equipment and low and behold he had a concern about a particular specification on this equipment , he asked one of my collegues for a second opinion and my collegue felt that was within spec and ok to pass , this wasn`t good enough so he then asked my manager for his opinion ,my manager also felt it was within spec and ok to pass. He then called me over and told me it should have failed even though me collegue and manager ok`d it!

As a result of this I went to my manager (who is very pally with supervisor) and told him the stress I was under, how it was effecting my work and home life , how i wasn`t sleeping and dreaded coming into work.He showed no concern for me ,his only concern was that he was following procedure as bullying is a serious accusation.

Like i said theres a bit more to it but thats the main issue.
    All I wanted to do was have a chat with my manager in the hope he could sort it , now I`m being formally invited to a meeting with HR and I`m sick to the stomach that i`ve no real evidence or its his word against mine. Like I said I am only with the company a year, he is there 7 or 8 years ,is a former employee of the year ! and is very pally with my manager

Am I going to be looking for a new job shortly????????

To be honest you should be looking for a new job anyway all that stress you are under is not good for your health.

After reading the post Imho you were being mistreated but not enough to actually call it bullying.

If you had of waited a month or so and wrote down EVERYTHING that has happened to you it would have made your case stronger.

I have been in the position of being bullied and had to go to court (which I won) and it is not a nice process.

One thing though that is identical to my case is that the bully was in a clique with a few people and one of the clique was the manager.

Be careful what you say from now on they will be looking for ways to make you look like you have a chip on your shoulder and once that set's in it will be hard to get rid of that tag.

But from this moment on be on your guard they are going to be out for your blood.

Do yourself a favour buy the biggest memory card you can get for your phone and set the voice recorder to record that way if anything is said to you there is proof. This is not usable in court but it can show people (HR/Solicitor) What is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Forget how you 'feel'. Can you get any backup from colleuges you ate with in canteen or had a beer with. I honestly can't decide for you.

gugleguy wrote: »
    Forget how you 'feel'. Can you get any backup from colleuges you ate with in canteen or had a beer with. I honestly can't decide for you.

Yeah I have a couple of guys who are willing to back me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

threads merged, please don't cross post in multiple forums
    Do you feel Ive no case??

And if you're asking if you've a case to sue, then don't ask that here please.

Eoin wrote: »
    threads merged, please don't cross post in multiple forums

And if you're asking if you've a case to sue, then don't ask that here please.

No not interested in suing just terrified my job us on the line cause above examples aren't valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

No not interested in suing just terrified my job us on the line cause above examples aren't valid.

It's only a job at the end of the day. See how it pans out but I would be keeping my eye out for a new job. You shouldn't have to go through that stress, life is too short for that bullology!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Make sure you're prepared for the meeting with HR by getting everything you want to say written down in advance. Bullet points are ideal for keeping it clear and concise, for e.g.

-On date 1, supervisor said a, b and c to me
    -On date 2, supervisor did x, y or z
    etc..

where possible, back it up with someone who witnessed it i.e.

-On date 3, supervisor told me to ???, this was witnessed by Joe Bloggs.

That way you can present your case in the strongest possible way.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Make sure you're prepared for the meeting with HR by getting everything you want to say written down in advance. Bullet points are ideal for keeping it clear and concise, for e.g.

-On date 1, supervisor said a, b and c to me
    -On date 2, supervisor did x, y or z
    etc..

where possible, back it up with someone who witnessed it i.e.

-On date 3, supervisor told me to ???, this was witnessed by Joe Bloggs.

That way you can present your case in the strongest possible way.

Yep that's my plan, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Bullying is both a civil and criminal wrong.

Your Employers owe you a duty of care to work in a safe environment.

By standing up to a bully they will usually back off, they too have a lot to loose.

Talk to your HR Dept. and get this issue sorted.

The Bully was employee of the year , past tense!

Wishing you every success in bringing this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

D

Bullying is both a civil and criminal wrong.

Your Employers owe you a duty of care to work in a safe environment.

By standing up to a bully they will usually back off, they too have a lot to loose.

Talk to your HR Dept. and get this issue sorted.

The Bully was employee of the year , past tense!

Wishing you every success in bringing this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

Just a quick update for anyone in a similar situation to mine. I had several meetings with HR , a couple of co workers backed up what I said, a independent manager was brought in to investigate my grievances and long story short.....my supervisor was suspended followed by a email a couple of weeks later advising that he no longer works for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Well that is amazing. I have to say I'm lost in admiration for you. My thought when I first read this was the same as many. "Start looking for a new job". The support of other staff was key, but big credit should also go to your employer. Many employers would stick by the manager no matter what, so fair play to them for facing up to the problem and dealing with it.

Finally, if management really rate you then they should be looking at promoting you for the bravery and commitment to the company you showed by (a) reporting a problem that could have got you fired and (b) not treating it as a chance to get money but instead to stay loyal.

Best of luck with the rest of your career there, and PS keep an eye on the outside just in case ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great news, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 iliketrees

Delighted it worked out for you and it sounds like your work colleagues have a sense of decency and fairness too. I can't stand bullying in any form and unfortunately most bullies never have to face the consequences of their actions. So I take my hat off to you and your work mates!

Advertisement