Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Persons Grant(Housing)

Options
  • 30-05-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭

Hope someone can help me?

In relation to the above grant, how many times can a person apply for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I read nothing in the regulations which addressed this issue.

As Local Authority approval must be obtained, probably the best way of finding out is to apply.

Be aware that there have been changes to the regulations (again) in Feb this year.

This page gives good information and links to regs etc

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/housing_grants_and_schemes/housing_adaptation_grant_for_people_with_disability.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hope someone can help me?

In relation to the above grant, how many times can a person apply for it?

I don't think there is any limit to the number of times you can apply. Have you been rejected in the past, or were you too far down the priority list?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RainyDay wrote: »
    I don't think there is any limit to the number of times you can apply. Have you been rejected in the past, or were you too far down the priority list?

I haven't applied at all. The reason why I was asking was that I was told by the other half that if I applied to get adaptations done to my family home, it would exclude me from applying for it in the future....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I haven't applied at all. The reason why I was asking was that I was told by the other half that if I applied to get adaptations done to my family home, it would exclude me from applying for it in the future....??

I don't see anything in the regulations to suggest that you can only apply once, or indeed that you can only get the grant once. There may have been a situation where they advised people not to bother reapplying if funds had been exhausted. Email your local council office with the query before you apply to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Dreannz

I am in rented accommodation now, I asked the council what would happen if I applied for the grant on this house and then years down the line if I moved would you be able to adapt another house for my wheelchair. The answer I was given was , we could cross that bridge when we'd come to it.
    Not much help, is it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I worked for a company that did the adaptions. Late last year a client had applied for a grant for a ramp and bathroom adaptions. The ramp was approved on the condition that the job was done and invoice was submitted to the council before the end of the year. They were told to re-apply for a grant for the bathroom this year. I've left the company since so not sure if they got the bathroom approved.
    The council will pay up to 92% of the total works ex-vat so remember to factor the vat in but it can usually be claimed back from the revenue once the persons tax affairs are in order.

Advertisement