Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericcson Xperia Ray

Options
  • 30-05-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Have one of these, and it's been great, until I've started running out of storage recently. So I got a 14GB sd card, and it's completely useless as none of the apps can be moved to it! (Main ones being Facebook & Whatsapp, they take up huge memory.) When I go into App Settings, the little bit where "Move to SD card" is, is greyed out. Had one of the techie guys look at it in work, and he reckons the only thing that would sort it is to root the phone, which I don't want to do. A quick google says that there are loads of other users out there with the same problem. Any suggestions? (I also have around 200 photos on the phone, but I can't find an option to move those to card either) So now my phone's completely acting up, freezing, etc, cos it's so low on storage.

I was recommended the Samsung Galaxy S3 mini...thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Just to add also, I have no major apps on it - the only ones being Facebook & Whatsapp, and they seem to take up the majority!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I've never used the Xperia Ray so have no knowledge of it.
    But there is plenty of ways to move photos/videos to an SD card.

I haven't read this article but I'm sure it will help,
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/3466195/move-data-from-android-phone-sd-card/

Some apps can't be moved to the SD card through settings, facebook and WhatsApp are probably among those.
    On the Settings screen, if the "data" section takes up a big part of the total app size you could try clearing data to free up that space. Be careful though as it will clear all setting for the app including your stored username & password, so you will have to login to the app again.

The benefit of clearing the app data is if say you've viewed hundreds/thousands of photos in the facebook app it might have cache all those photos to allow it to load them faster next time. You really don't need to have them cache locally especially since your probably not going to be viewing those photos again. So by clearing the app data your removing some of the old junk that's built up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

My girlfriend is having the exact same issue as you.

I notice that Sony have a terrible habit of filling their products with copious amounts of crap apps aka bloatware. They do the same thing with their laptops.

You should try "rooting" the phone and delete all the built in Sony apps.

My girlfriend had 3 different Facebook apps for example, the Sony plug in version, the Timescape version and the actual app from the play store.

Sony also put in other apps like their own version of Shazam, Antradio, Sony Media store and a couple games.

You can't delete these apps, but if you root the phone you'll be able too.

These apps are clogging up your space, they are also running in the background, so deleting them not only frees up space, it'll speed up your phone and give you better battery life.

Advertisement