Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching from Mac to PC for Pro Tools

Options
  • 30-05-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I'm currently running Pro Tools 9 with assorted Waves & IK plugins. I've always used Macs, but am considering the PC route for my next upgrade (better choice of hardware & customisation options).

I'm not interested in the Mac vs. PC debate (I know the pros & cons of each) but I wanted to understand any Pro Tools related problems I might encounter with saved sessions. Will they all run properly on the PC version of Pro Tools? What about my plug-ins - will I be able to easily re-install PC versions of everything? I don't have any cracked software, so everything is legit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I'm currently running Pro Tools 9 with assorted Waves & IK plugins. I've always used Macs, but am considering the PC route for my next upgrade (better choice of hardware & customisation options).

I'm not interested in the Mac vs. PC debate (I know the pros & cons of each) but I wanted to understand any Pro Tools related problems I might encounter with saved sessions. Will they all run properly on the PC version of Pro Tools? What about my plug-ins - will I be able to easily re-install PC versions of everything? I don't have any cracked software, so everything is legit.

Thanks

Are many of your plugs AU or are they all RTAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

mordeith wrote: »
    Are many of your plugs AU or are they all RTAS?

All RTAS as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I can't see how you have too many issues so. As long as the PC you're getting is up to scratch spec wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

to be honest its hit or miss. ive have an i7, totally up to avid specs (interface, gfx card etc) and it just errors out on me all time. on the other hand i have a much lesser spec'd oem laptop that runs it perfectly stable.

one thing that i found helped a lot was discarding the avid drives and buying this driver for €60.

http://www.usb-audio.com/

while 60 euro seems expensive for a driver, its extremely stable on any interface ive tried it with, including avid's crap boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

OK, thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

I am certainly not a power user of Pro Tools but I have it for the odd job here and there. For me, all versions from 8 to the current one throw up "Pro Tools has to restart" whenever ASIO settings are adjusted. It is very frustrating, but I have never had the need to really dig into how it can be avoided, if it can be at all.

Advertisement