Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pike rod help

Options
  • 29-05-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hey in looking into buying this rod for pike as i seen a fella using it its a Shimano vengeance sea bass rod 2.4m 20g-50g would this be any use ? And would probley be mackerel fishing with it also thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fisherman

lovebirds wrote: »
    Hey in looking into buying this rod for pike as i seen a fella using it its a Shimano vengeance sea bass rod 2.4m 20g-50g would this be any use ? And would probley be mackerel fishing with it also thanks
    Hi lovebirds, I don't know nor have I used this particular rod so I'm not sure what type of 'action' it has, but on the face of it, it appears to have the correct specs for a lure rod that could be used as a pike rod i.e it is 8 foot long and can throw lures in the 20 to 50 grams range (probably a little heavier lures in real life). However, if you have ever lure fished for pike before you will know that pike will, a lot of times, follow a lure before deciding to attack it and generally this is when the lure is close to the bank, shore or boat. If this happens and the rod is too stiff then there's a fair chance that the lure can be ripped from the pikes mouth, so you don't want a rod that's too stiff, rather, get one that has a softish tip and gradually stiffens up towards the centre of the rod, that's what I mean by the term 'action' above. This means that when the fish hits your lure close in, the rod acts as a spring to help set the hooks correctly rather than ripping them from the fish's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

it might b a it light for mackeral if ur fishing off the rocks and using 5 or 6 feathers..

Advertisement