Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with out fuel

Options
  • 29-05-2014 11:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

I know it's possible to cook with salt and lemon but is there other ways to cook without any fuel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Maybe a solar oven ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, solar oven is about the height of it. They'd be of limited value in Ireland to the best of my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Mr Steak wrote: »
    I know it's possible to cook with salt and lemon but is there other ways to cook without any fuel?

You can always find fuel for a fire even if dried moss or someones' hair/beard.

salt and lemon ? please explain how that works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I guess he means the meat/fish is marinated by soaking in lemon juice (citric acid).
    Can be done also with vinegar (acetic acid).
    The meat is chemically cooked.
    Should be done in a plastic/glass container in fridge but probably using a resealable plastic bag better.
    I never cared for the taste .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

Would air drying / preserving constitute cooking..? seen people do that in Alaska.

Cooking on hot rocks in extremey hot / desert areas ?

Not much help in this country though..

Steps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Came across this article about using lime for cooking without fire.

In the space between the two pots with lids (small one with food inside large one). you could set off a chemical reaction by mixing chunks of quicklime with water. It created heat to cook the food inside the sealed inner pot.

Safety warning with it also.
    Don't try heating food with lime if you're not sure how to do it safely. Handling lime is dangerous unless you are experienced with such chemicals. Skin contact or inhalation can cause severe reactions.

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/fireless-cooking-with-quicklime.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Hi guys,

Just saw this article which is a remarkable coincidence as I'm in the process of building a hay box (following instructions here).

Incidentally when I say currently, I really mean it, there's shredded newspaper everywhere! I decided to go for a wooden rather than a cardboard box so it's reusable and as you know waste is anethma to us Survivalists! :)

This of course doesn't fulfil the OP's conditions that you cook entirely without conventional fuel as you do need to bring the mixture to a simmer before putting in the box but allows for using very small amounts of fuel.

Even better than a hay box, a Rocket Stove can heat water and food with just a few tigs.

Failing that you'd probably be looking at methods mentioned already, either dried meat e.g biltong and using a solar dehyrdator for vegetables/fruit or making use of a solar oven. (Summer this year in Ireland will be on a Wednesday :) )

Update : My Prepper mentor Big Vic has pointed out that there are such things as 12V stoves, grills and even slow cookers. (See example on this website for Truckers here). These could be powered by a 12V battery which in turn could be charged up by solar/wind power perhaps? Maybe a bit bulky if you need to run to the hills mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

Recondite49

Just checked your Rocket Stove info, I have something similar called a Bush Buddy, although it's tiny in comparison with the RS I can definitely agree that it punches above it's weight in terms of fuel needed to cook something up. Use it regularly when solo wild camping. I can't imagine anywhere I counld'nt scrounge up enough fuel to at least get a brew on. As a base camp...car carry..stove, I'd most likely go with the RS.

Steps

Advertisement