Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thought i'd found my brother, not him!!

Options
  • 29-05-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm feeling so so devastated to night and guilty and upset.

I was totally totally convinced I had found my brother via facebook. I have all his details confirmed from his date of adoption order.

I came across somebody with same name , month of birth and visually he was so like my dad it was so bizarre how much. I was literally 100%.

So, I know I shouldn't have but I made contact via facebook in a tactful way I thought but to make a long story short, he got back to me tonight and said its not him and his date of birth was so so close to my brothers and his story was so similar as he too was adopted but has already being reunited with his birth mother.

I am trying to get him out of my head now because I really had convinced myself it was him.....won't give up. No marriage records so don't have a current address not sure what route to take next.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Sorry to hear your search did not work out. Have you gone to the adoption agency yet to get them to trace? It's bizarre that this guy matched your brothers details so well and was also adopted! When you went through the adoption certs was there just the one that matched? Perhaps the date of adoption order would have matched your brothers if they were straight forward adoptions and carried out within the same time frame iykwim. Could you go back to the GRO and have another look through it? It's hard to have to wait when dealing with the adoption agencies but it might be the way to go to be sure you find the right person. Wishing you luck going forward.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Really sorry RCDATA.
    You have to be so careful- Ireland is a very small place, and its remarkably easy to make mistakes. Even when you do have a marriage cert- it can still be a nightmare- I've had excel spreadsheets detailing family trees pasted to walls trying to unravel family trees- often its the improbable connection, that you've ruled out that may unlock a puzzle.

Feel free to post back here (without identifying information) and we will see if we can offer you any tips on where to go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rcdada

thanks the_Conductor, yes I would appreciate any tips on were to go from here. thanks

Advertisement