Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ecco shoes refund

Options
  • 29-05-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

So I bought 2 pair of ecco shoes (same model different colours). 1 pair I bought 8 months ago outside of the country and 1 pair I bought 6 months ago in Dublin.

I recently noticed the sole on the 8 month pair had completely split on the right shoe. I check the 6 month pair and they'd also started to split on the right shoe.

I brought the 6 month pair back to ecco with the receipt. After a week they said the damage could be glass and offered me 25 percent off a new pair. I then explained I had another pair that showed the same fault. I brought them out and after another week waiting the regional manager is supposedly offering me a 50 percent refund.

Any advice on what I should do next? I'm under the impression I should get 100 percent refund as the shoes have a year warranty.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You did not buy them in Ireland though so why would they take the hit? You'd need to return them to the store you bought them in the first place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do ecco offer a one year guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stheno wrote: »
    Do ecco offer a one year guarantee?

Can't see any mention of it on their Irish web shop so I doubt the pair bought in Dublin have one. Perhaps the pair bought abroad are covered.
    http://shopeu.ecco.com/ie/en-ie/faq

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

https://us.shop.ecco.com/policies/policies,default,pg.html?aid=policies-warranty
    Found this in the US site.

I just find it unbelievable that 2 pair of very expensive shoes can disintegrate in 8 months or less. I see its a common problem with ecco shoes (just did a quick google search). I will never buy fron them again.

Nody wrote: »
    You did not buy them in Ireland though so why would they take the hit? You'd need to return them to the store you bought them in the first place.

I bought 1 pair in Dublin 6 months ago, still have the recipient. I showed them the other pair also to prove its a fault with the shoe??? I am just looking for a full refund on the pair I bought in Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The Duk wrote: »
    https://us.shop.ecco.com/policies/policies,default,pg.html?aid=policies-warranty
    Found this in the US site.

I just find it unbelievable that 2 pair of very expensive shoes can disintegrate in 8 months or less. I see its a common problem with ecco shoes (just did a quick google search). I will never buy fron them again.
    That warranty applies to their US market, their Irish site doesn't mention a warranty so I doubt there is one here.
    Regardless of warranty you have consumer rights. A 6mths life is not reasonable for a pair of shoes assuming normal use so you are entitled to redress.
    I have a pair of Ecco shoes and never had a problem over the 2 years of use. It might be common with your particular style of shoe but that doesn mean Ecco shoes in general.
    I bought 1 pair in Dublin 6 months ago, still have the recipient. I showed them the other pair also to prove its a fault with the shoe??? I am just looking for a full refund on the pair I bought in Dublin...
    The law also allows for an appropriate partial refund so it comes down to agreeing terms which are fair and reasonable considering you've had 6 mths use of the shoes. A 25% refund is low but imo a full refund is not warranted unless the shoes have had negligible use. If you can't negotiate a satisfactory deal with the seller then you can take it to the Small Claims Court.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That warranty applies to their US market, their Irish site doesn't mention a warranty so I doubt there is one here.
    Regardless of warranty you have consumer rights. A 6mths life is not reasonable for a pair of shoes assuming normal use so you are entitled to redress. However since you have had use of the shoes for

I have a pair of Ecco shoes and never had a problem over the 2 years of use. It might be common with your particular style of shoe but hat doesn mean Ecco shoes in general.

The law also allows for an appropriate partial refund so it comes down to agreeing terms which are fair and reasonable considering you've had 6 mths use of the shoes. If you can't negotiate a better deal with the seller then you can take it to the Small Claims Court.

Thanks for the reply. I shall speak with them again.

If anyone is wondering the model in question is the ecco Bradley gore-tex boot. They were only worn for office use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If anyone is wondering the model in question is the ecco Bradley gore-tex boot. They were only worn for office use.

I could be classed as an office worker, but I spend almost all of my day on my feet.
    Therefore I run through shoes at the speed of light compared to e.g. my OH who spends most of his days sitting at a desk.

Stheno wrote: »
    I could be classed as an office worker, but I spend almost all of my day on my feet.
    Therefore I run through shoes at the speed of light compared to e.g. my OH who spends most of his days sitting at a desk.

Thanks for the observation. Well just to clarify I spend most of my time at my desk and the shoes were alternated mostly week on week off. I also drive to work and don't wear them at home (for the sake of completeness).

Thanks to everyone for their input. Ecco have certainly lost a customer in me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭lau1247

Not sure how the split is on your one.

My last 2 pairs also had split on the right foot. I concluded that the sole they use is a slightly softer material and sometimes i had to crouch down (like a squat position where front of foot is on the ground and heel raised off the floor) thus bending it causing it to split perpendicular to the foot. This along with driving which further repeats this bend action. Once a crack happens it will get worst. Luckily mine last for about 2 years each with everyday use

Assuming same perpendicular split, Do you crouch down often or have other action where you bend the sole regularly??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

lau1247 wrote: »
    Not sure how the split is on your one.

My last 2 pairs also had split on the right foot. I concluded that the sole they use is a slightly softer material and sometimes i had to crouch down (like a squat position where front of foot is on the ground and heel raised off the floor) thus bending it causing it to split perpendicular to the foot. This along with driving which further repeats this bend action. Once a crack happens it will get worst. Luckily mine last for about 2 years each with everyday use

Assuming same perpendicular split, Do you crouch down often or have other action where you bend the sole regularly??

Thanks for the feed back. Yes it seems there is a harder peice of plastic ( inside the main sole) that comes from the back of the sole and stops where the crack appears. I do have a tendency to walk on my toes but 6 months with what I'd call light use is useless to me.

I agreed to 50% refund. Im going to see if shoesgoo can repair atleast on pair of them as they are mainly for wearing in the office.

Having said all that I'm done with Ecco shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leroy d

ECCO sole fails are pretty common. Really expensive but shoddy shoe.
    I have had 2 pairs with soles crumbling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

6 month old thread. Closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement