Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Census records

Options
  • 29-05-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi
    Can anyone advised where I can locate the 1946 & 1956 census records.. also like to know where I can access a passenger list of people who left for the US in 1946.
    Many Thanks
    Star

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They are sealed until 100 years after the census, so without a time machine, you're stuck*

Ancestry does have some passenger lists for that period but there's no centralised place for all lists. Also consider that people went to Canada first and then into the States at that stage.

*If you do have a time machine, please go back and stop the Four Courts fire in 1922.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Star5 wrote: »
    Can anyone advised where I can locate the 1946 & 1956 census records..

They're (hopefully!) in a very secure and safe storage area somewhere belonging to the Central Statistics Office. To access them you'll need a very thick brown envelope deposited in the right hand <nudge, nudge; wink, wink).

I jest - start counting down to 2046. If you're young enough you might just see it. If not well....you heard the one about the three eggs? Two bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Star5 there are no Census records after 1911 available sadly. If you do a search of this forum you will see the stains of the tears of all the genealogists here! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

where I can access a passenger list of people who left for the US in 1946.

Such a list doesn't exist. All you can do is hope to find them on a list entering the USA. Ancestry has the "New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957" which would probably be the first place to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tamarellaz

Damn that 100 year rule. I did hear that they were campaigning to release the 1921 census records but I think 1921 will have come and gone before they win that...and sadly yes, fires were commonplace. I asked my Dad years ago and I think there was a fire in Croom Co Limerick aswell :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Tamarellaz wrote: »
    Damn that 100 year rule. I did hear that they were campaigning to release the 1921 census records but I think 1921 will have come and gone before they win that...and sadly yes, fires were commonplace. I asked my Dad years ago and I think there was a fire in Croom Co Limerick aswell :(

Just so you know, there was no 1921 census. There was some sort of war going on at the time:D 1926 is the next one. There has been plenty of discussion on here over the years about it. We won't be seeing it until 2026.

As for the Limerick fire, I don't think that impacts census returns in any way. Are you talking about the loss of local records?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Star5

Thanks everyone for your responses I had no idea they were stored away.. very ignorant on my part..

My search continues

Star
    Hi
    Can anyone advised where I can locate the 1946 & 1956 census records.. also like to know where I can access a passenger list of people who left for the US in 1946.
    Many Thanks
    Star

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Have you tried searching the Ellis Island records? I found that my ancestors were popping across the Atlantic as if it were only a quick journey to get there - they must've had great sea legs! :)

Advertisement