Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a US cert in dollars

Options
  • 29-05-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have identified a cert in New York City Vital records that I want to apply for.
    I have all the details I need but the application form says I need to pay by 'International Money Order' It is only $22, but having been to the bank and the Post Office, neither can help. (Bank has minimum of €400 per transaction)
    Has anyone bought any certs from the US and if so, how did you manage to pay for it ?
    cheers for any pointers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

You can buy them online too. Not sure if you want a B, M, or D, so click on the 'Forms & Instructions' at the end of this page, beside the relevant vital record, and there will be an option to request a copy online.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 magzer

Is there any easy way to order a marriage record in Yonkers about 1905? I'm also looking for a death record in Poughkeepsie in 1921. Thanks

For anything in New York state (outside of New York City) you have two choices: apply locally from the town/city clerk or from the centralized state body (State Archives or State Health Dept, depending on the year).

It is always better to apply to the town/city clerk as it can take up to 8 months (yes, 8 months) when applying from the state body.

Yonkers City Clerk genealogy
    http://38.106.5.176/play/departments-a-f/city-clerk/certificates-licenses-and-permits/genealogical-research

Poughkeepsie Town Clerk
    http://www.townofpoughkeepsie.com/clerk/index.html

Both of those dates should be outside of any restrictions on access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hasta

Thanks Coolnabacky1873
    It was a post 1949 one that I was after and have managed to order through Vital Check - even thought I don't fit all of the very specific criteria, they accepted my application and cert on the way ! Way more difficult and expensive than wandering into the GRO here with 4 euro.!

Yeah, VitalCheck is a company that has agreements with various official State bodies who have BMD's. 100% legit but obv you pay for the convenience and quick turn around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

hasta wrote: »
    Thanks Coolnabacky1873
    It was a post 1949 one that I was after and have managed to order through Vital Check - even thought I don't fit all of the very specific criteria, they accepted my application and cert on the way ! Way more difficult and expensive than wandering into the GRO here with 4 euro.!

Just curious re Vital Check - how much does it cost to get a cert and how long does it take? I am looking to get a death certificate for someone that died in Boston in 1950

I've never used them so I can't comment on time. From recollection of about two years ago, I think prices were about $40-$50 a cert.

If you have a specific record in mind and know the reference numbers etc., maybe hire a local pro genealogist who offers a 'one record retrieval' service. Would almost certainly be less than the above price and he/she can scan and email it to you.

Association of Pro Genealogists Directory

The price for the cert itself was $11 and the handling/delivery was about $60 for 1 week and about half that for 3-4 weeks. In my case, even though I gave them an exact date they were unable to find it - which is really strange given that I know for certain that I am correct (in this case it was the NYC Dept of Health) Would have been great if, as Coolnabacky1873 suggests I had someone who could query 'on the ground' and e mail, to save the huge delivery/handling fees. In my case that was not an option, since they would only release the cert to a direct descendent and i had to provide them with a lot of identification. Now I have to go back to them and ask for a re search for the cert. They will do for free but it's sort of a pain.

Oh Lordy, the NYC DoH. They view genealogy as a disease that needs to be identified, cured, and eradicated.

If you want to post (or PM me) the details, I maybe be able to offer a few alternative options.

Oh Lordy, the NYC DoH. They view genealogy as a disease that needs to be identified, cured, and eradicated.

If you want to post (or PM me) the details, I maybe be able to offer a few alternative options.

Thanks for the offer but I have returned the search request to them, along with a bunch of other info that I have to help them find the right cert. Fingers crossed this time !

• Advertisement
Advertisement