Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Genie - Fast track security

Options
  • 29-05-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Travelling in July with wife, father in law and two daughters, aged 4 and three months.

I was looking into using the Fast Track security offered by Airport Genie and wondering is it worth it? Generally, we're very well organised going through the airport, but that was always with just one child to worry about. If security is busy, it could go pear-shaped, however well we're prepared!

Flight will be at 3pm on a Monday, so would be passing through security sometime between 1 and 2, I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'd say not to bother at that time, it would generally be fairly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

have used the airport genie on a few occassion and found it to be brilliant....no queueing... and a cup of coffee or tea is incuded in the price of the pass... Remember its summer time and the aiport could be busy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Worth it early in the morning. Mid morning onwards, it doesnt really give much benefit. Expensive cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I used it once and spent longer queuing for the cup of tea than I would have going through normal security lines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I used it once and spent longer queuing for the cup of tea than I would have going through normal security lines!

To me the hot drink is a bonus. Not a necessity. Beating the security queue is well worth the fiver to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

athtrasna wrote: »
    To me the hot drink is a bonus. Not a necessity. Beating the security queue is well worth the fiver to me anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's worth it too for early morning flights or other busy times, I was just pointing out one of life's ironies :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

When there's nobody in the fast lane they let people from the regular queue in! I've paid for it twice in the past few weeks and I was in the queue for about 10-12 minutes each time before I finally got through.

First time, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought it was a one off as it never happened before. Second time, I just got really annoyed about it but nothing I could have done really. It was 7am and nobody wanted crap off anybody!

I wouldn't bother anymore, not worth it, especially if you're paying for more than one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

It has the advantage in T1 that it keeps you away from the people who have no clue how security works.

Unfortunately, not so much anymore. It did at the start when I started buying it, and was the reason for me buying it, and then the last 2 times I was stuck behind people who had to leave it until the very last second to take off everything that they needed to. And then they had to do the exact same for each one of their 3 kids. And the price has gone up to €6 now, which makes it even more annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

my neighbour used genie early this week, and said the queue at it was huge..and slow..i suppose everyone had the same genie idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I didn't bother booking airport genie in the end and once we'd had boarding cards checked at the entrance to the security area we were ushered to a scanning station which was just opening, so happy days. Only time in a queue was about 3 minutes to get to where the cards were checked.

Same here, i found it fast enough, although i suppose depends on when your travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Sorry to hijack this thread with a genie question but didn't want to start up a new thread for it given there was one posing questions already. (So if this annoys original poster, I apologise for the intrusion)

Asking this question on behalf of a relative, and because I didn't see anything on their website about it. Is it a major issue if the flight number is incorrect on their voucher? Seems they put their return flight on it rather than their going out flight and while the site says they can't change it, it makes no mention of just how important such a detail could be. They are in two minds whether to just go with their original documents (where their name and such is still all correct) or go and buy two more to play it safe.

So if any more knowledgeable travellers who are used to using this service might know an answer for them, be much obliged so I could help them out.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

racersedge wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread with a genie question but didn't want to start up a new thread for it given there was one posing questions already. (So if this annoys original poster, I apologise for the intrusion)

Asking this question on behalf of a relative, and because I didn't see anything on their website about it. Is it a major issue if the flight number is incorrect on their voucher? Seems they put their return flight on it rather than their going out flight and while the site says they can't change it, it makes no mention of just how important such a detail could be. They are in two minds whether to just go with their original documents (where their name and such is still all correct) or go and buy two more to play it safe.

So if any more knowledgeable travellers who are used to using this service might know an answer for them, be much obliged so I could help them out.!

I've never seen it checked, it's more for them judging how many people will be using the service at a given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

They can call Airport Genie cutomer care on 01 944 2020 to ammend the flight number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

athtrasna wrote: »
    I've never seen it checked, it's more for them judging how many people will be using the service at a given time.
    We had our's scanned in April when we were flying to Vienna. It was an early sunday flight and very few people around. It may have been boredom on the staff's part but she scanned it and waited until it was confirmed before she lets us proceed.

seemly sometimes the Genie card scans, sometimes it doesnt, the security person i saw, checked that details matched and let us on our way,i used it earlier this week, and worth the money, unfortunately, it doesnt allow for silly passengers, who are never ready or prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lfc84

Sorry to bump and old thread, but thoguht it wasnt worth starting a new one.

I am departing from T2 on Sunday around 1630 with hand luggage only on a flight to the UK.

What's the experience of queues for security at that time?

I often fly sunday afternoon to the UK, and have found it busy, especially peak season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'll hop in here too as well.
    I'm flying to Amsterdam on Saturday morning, 6.00am flight with the Mrs. Now we are fairly organised and should be at the airport before 4.30am with hand luggage only. I know early morning is the busiest time at the airport and I was thinking of booking the fast track but I'm also think our flight is that early that we may just miss the rush hour.

Anyone have any experience of flying that early?(T2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Just Janice

I have used it a few times and it can be hit and miss. But in general it is a hit.
    If you decide to not go with it and enter into the queuing area through the gate/ticket reader gate on the far left, the security guard will often let a family skip through to the fast track as there is only a tape cornering off an entrance point.

a Saturday at 430am will be fine, especially now off season

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Hey myself and my partner will be flying to Crete in June flight time is 15:40 T1 will be passing security around half 1 or 2. Woukd this be a busy time? We have never flown from Dublin airport before so not sure what to expect we usually fly from Cork or Shannon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Thanks for the reply

Advertisement