Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crooked Lake - Sat. 7th June. Bike & Run course?

Options
  • 29-05-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Anyone do Crooked Lake last year? Wondering what the bike and run course is like, particularly bike?

After a horrible course surprise at Lough Cutra Castle race last weekend I don't want to be in for any major surprises in Armagh on the bike. I get the impression it's hilly but their website doesn't elaborate. The transition area also looks a bit tight from last years pics but maybe that's just the pics?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

lizanne83 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Anyone do Crooked Lake last year? Wondering what the bike and run course is like, particularly bike?

After a horrible course surprise at Lough Cutra Castle race last weekend I don't want to be in for any major surprises in Armagh on the bike. I get the impression it's hilly but their website doesn't elaborate. The transition area also looks a bit tight from last years pics but maybe that's just the pics?!

Thanks!

Been a few years but was the same for donkeys

Lake swim, acceptable water quality.
    Transition big enough.
    Very step hill about 500m out of T1. Rolling bike course then. Bike course a little short. Again a short sharp him 500m or so it out of T2. Then a gradual descent back to a flat leading back to the hill again for a second lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

tunney wrote: »
    Been a few years but was the same for donkeys

Lake swim, acceptable water quality.
    Transition big enough.
    Very step hill about 500m out of T1. Rolling bike course then. Bike course a little short. Again a short sharp him 500m or so it out of T2. Then a gradual descent back to a flat leading back to the hill again for a second lap.

Thanks Tunney that's v-helpful

That steep hill 500m out of T1 sounds rotten but apart from that the rest of it sounds pretty decent. Hopefully the weather is good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35778821

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35778823

Bike is a draft fest... get in a group and save your legs... nobody will care or punish you for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

mloc123 wrote: »
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35778821

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35778823

Bike is a draft fest... get in a group and save your legs... nobody will care or punish you for it :)

Great to see the route; thanks for sharing that. Some long fast stretches coming into those villages with what looks to be some sharp turns. I won't respond on the drafting fest part ;) based on what we saw at Kilkee last year! Looking forward to it now. Driving up from Dublin that morning as it's an afternoon race. Would be great to drive the course first if roads are clear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

lizanne83 wrote: »
    Great to see the route; thanks for sharing that. Some long fast stretches coming into those villages with what looks to be some sharp turns. I won't respond on the drafting fest part ;) based on what we saw at Kilkee last year! Looking forward to it now. Driving up from Dublin that morning as it's an afternoon race. Would be great to drive the course first if roads are clear

On a serious note, the time I did it the bike route was very congested. Depending on how good your swim is or not you might get stuck behind large slow groups. I was a 14-15 min swimmer and I found the bike frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Probably a bit late to be asking but is there any shelter around the transition/ race start & finish area. I am being dropped off and wont have my car with me.

With the weather forecast a bit of shelter may be handy in the "hanging around" time beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Any one else doing this race on Saturday? Any thoughts on the run course?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

yep im in , for once a race that is sort of close, no early start and looks interesting. now if we get a bit of sun and heat..... could be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm in too. No real idea about the course, just to make sure you go the right way the second time up the hill, club mate went the wrong way last year, added a nice little bit on for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

joey100 wrote: »
    I'm in too. No real idea about the course, just to make sure you go the right way the second time up the hill, club mate went the wrong way last year, added a nice little bit on for himself.

Always afraid I'll do this at a race. I know its a common problem at DTC on the bike course. Last thing I want is to go further than I need! I barely make the finish as it is :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Simple enough really, 2 times up the hill, 1st time turn right, second time turn left. I say that now but will probably be the one who makes a mistake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I'm in for it too. First timer for camlough, the hill out of T1 looks painful

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Hi Folks

Podge83: No, no shelter around the event, but walking distance back to the village of Camlough where bars/shops/Race HQ are.
    Lizanne83: Images are mine... ;-) Camlough Pre-post race is VERY congested - makes for a brilliant tight atmosphere - Though transition and bike out, run out/in is plenty adequate. Run in is 'chute style' with very supportive crowds behind barriers.

All, especially beginners: Bike out is tight at the mount line...many many people get caught out with slow/stumbles... push out fast, sort your feet/pedals 20-30 metres out - its a 200metre straight before turn left.

For anyone who's interested...I'll be doing photo-duty again this year.. Either I'm not getting it right - and am being sent back 'til I do get it - or I am getting it right, and am being asked back...who knows ?
    Either way - smile or go faster that I can't focus in time :-)

See you there

Advertisement