Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool Fridge Freezing Up

Options
  • 28-05-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a Whirlpool integrated Fridge/Freezer, CB 18 M 50/50, product code 8564 477 15011.
    I bought the product not new, but never used.

The problem I am having is that the fridge part is freezing up constantly, ever since it was first used.

I have had a repairman replace the thermostat but the problem remains and I was wondering if someone could help me diagnose the problem.

The problem seems to be that it doesn't turn off to let the ice build up melt away. When I do this manually (by turning the thermostat to zero, lights go off) and then turn it on again (lights come back on), the fridge does whir and it seems to register that the fridge is cool enough. I keep it down low on setting 1 normally (1-5, low to high).

Can anyone tell me what is likely to be the problem given that the thermostat is new and presumed working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Rarely does a larder fridge stat fail on cut out its 99% fail on cut in, so your most likely problem is you have a gas leak which spells the end of its life unless someone fractured a pipe moving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kidoshea

Thanks for the reply.
    How would I go about checking for a gas leak? It's very possible that the fridge could have been damaged when moving it..

check the pipework around the compressor for any fracture if you have a leak the pipe will be oily, more likely to be internal, have you an ice build up on the back plate of the fridge section which is building up into a lump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kidoshea

I'll check the pipes for any leaks. Fridge was in the house when renovation work was going on so something could have damaged it.

Yes, build up of ice on the back plate of the fridge is happening. Comes out almost an inch and runs nearly the length of the back plate.

When I turn the stat down to '0', and turn it back on again (to '1' or '2'), it tends to stop cooling and the ice disappears. It kicks in again later and the ice builds up again after a day or two. Would that be in keeping with a leaky pipe?

really very hard to diagnose over the net, if you say it is making ice most of the way down the back panel it doesn't sound like a leak, when you say repairman, was he from Whirlpool or just a local handyman as it has to be the correct stat to make it function properly, a fridge , f/f and freezer stat all look the same but all have different cut in/out range. if the correct stat was fitted and it didn't cut out it has to be down in gas, ideally a guage would need to be put on the system to check it correctly and very few guys will have one unless they have refrigeration training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

kidoshea wrote: »
    I'll check the pipes for any leaks. Fridge was in the house when renovation work was going on so something could have damaged it.

Yes, build up of ice on the back plate of the fridge is happening. Comes out almost an inch and runs nearly the length of the back plate.

When I turn the stat down to '0', and turn it back on again (to '1' or '2'), it tends to stop cooling and the ice disappears. It kicks in again later and the ice builds up again after a day or two. Would that be in keeping with a leaky pipe?

Can you check if the ice is covering the full back panel on the fridge? that will tell a lot, there may even be 4 small dots on the panel to show where the ice should start/stop
    From what I can gather its icing up an inch thick at the back plate the whole way down, if it is id check, the stat again.
    Those Whirlpool fridges wont take a generic stat so if handyman fitted one of these it wont make any difference + a genuine whirlpool stat will be more expensive.

Advertisement