Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good deal?

Options
  • 28-05-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Is this deal worth it? Need to replace a boiler and saw this advertised but I really don't know enough about gas boilers to know if it is too cheap to be worth it?
    http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/dublin-plumbing-and-gas-24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

caff wrote: »
    Is this deal worth it? Need to replace a boiler and saw this advertised but I really don't know enough about gas boilers to know if it is too cheap to be worth it?
    http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/dublin-plumbing-and-gas-24

If you could stretch it another 2/300 you would have a superior boiler and flush included . Depends how tight your budget is really

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Egass13 wrote: »
    If you could stretch it another 2/300 you would have a superior boiler and flush included . Depends how tight your budget is really

Tight enough but would hate to be stuck with something that would cost more in the long run than getting the job done properly first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The advert says nothing about power flushing or a Magnetic filter.
    Although the advert says the boiler has a seven year warranty, but in the discussion section they say it comes with five years, if the system is not flushed clean properly you may find your warranty invalid if there are any problems later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

A bit in the cheap side. The boiler is on the bottom of the scale compared to others. And no way in hell is that normally priced at 2400 for an ideal boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    The boiler is on the bottom of the scale compared to others.

Could you elaborate? Any particular reason?

What 24kw boiler would you choose sub €1000?

• Advertisement

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Could you elaborate? Any particular reason?

What 24kw boiler would you choose sub €1000?

Ariston by a mile. Don't get me wrong, both will heat the rads, but the Ariston is capable of much much more. Veismann are also excellent but a bit over the 1k mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Ideal do not provide any warranty whatsoever outside of the UK. The warranty is provided solely by Davies in Ireland. They are part of the Grafton Group (Chadwicks, Woodies, etc.). If they go under, so does your warranty.

Who's the main agent/supplier for Ariston around Dublin?
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ariston is capable of much much more.

I presume this means extra controls etc. hence increasing the cost?

Who's the main agent/supplier for Ariston around Dublin?

I presume this means extra controls etc. hence increasing the cost?

No I mean the boiler can be programmed to suit a variety of systems and situations.

Spoke to Heatmerchants today regarding Ariston prices and availability etc.

What a slating the manager gave them...."biggest heap of ****e"....."no support network"....."lack of spare parts available"....."nothing but trouble" etc. etc.

With all the love Ariston gets on this forum I was a bit surprised by this. Is he just bad mouthing a rival product that they don't stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

What a slating the manager gave them...."biggest heap of ****e"....."no support network"....."lack of spare parts available"....."nothing but trouble" etc. etc.

With all the love Ariston gets on this forum I was a bit surprised by this. Is he just bad mouthing a rival product that they don't stock?

He's talking ****e because he knows nothing about them and don't stock them.There is a agent in Dublin there is a good support network.
    I like them that much I fitted one in my own house

There is an ol' attitude of if you can't have it, knock it & Heatmerchants can't sell Ariston. I could list plenty of stuff HM sell that is dirt but tbh I don't need to.

Speak to PTS in Naas. They stock Ariston & a full spares back up. They also stock Worchester Bosch & Vokera, equally good boilers.

Sort of guessed that myself....."pile of dirt...here buy a Baxi instead"
    Robbie.G wrote: »
    There is a agent in Dublin

Any contact details? *Sorted, Thanks Shane.

I've bought a few Ariston water heaters from HM, is it just the boilers they can't sell?

I've bought a few Ariston water heaters from HM, is it just the boilers they can't sell?

They were not purchasing them direct but most likely through RT Large.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Went with an ideal logic from another guy, though the installation has been a pain. Guy cancelled the original install date, then the next day charges an extra 160 to put in timber to "reinforce the wall" . Then rings up claiming he was left 100 short, even though it was counted out to him and he provided a receipt? He still has to come up to finish as he didn't have a long enough flue.

caff wrote: »
    Went with an ideal logic from another guy, though the installation has been a pain. Guy cancelled the original install date, then the next day charges an extra 160 to put in timber to "reinforce the wall" . Then rings up claiming he was left 100 short, even though it was counted out to him and he provided a receipt? He still has to come up to finish as he didn't have a long enough flue.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the job and how long did the installation take? Did he powerflush the system?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

...just remember that any boiler is only as good at the water flowing through it..........'Gary chapter 9 verse 71'

Make sure whatever boiler you install gets a proper power flush using cleansing agents, a magna clean and properly dosed with inhibitor, and not leaks (look out for autofilling valves being used) just come from a 2 year old HE boiler, kettling and full of sludge, needs new heat exchanger that costs nearly as much as the boiler .....it's a Baxi!...good support network, overpriced heat exchangers too!

DGOBS wrote: »
    ...just remember that any boiler is only as good at the water flowing through it..........'Gary chapter 9 verse 71'

Make sure whatever boiler you install gets a proper power flush using cleansing agents, a magna clean and properly dosed with inhibitor, and not leaks (look out for autofilling valves being used) just come from a 2 year old HE boiler, kettling and full of sludge, needs new heat exchanger that costs nearly as much as the boiler .....it's a Baxi!...good support network, overpriced heat exchangers too!

Did you try flushing it tony? I've always had great results flushing old and new HE baxis. Haven't had to change a heat exchanger yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

welcome the new dot cotton of boards

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Yes Dec, got a tub of DS40 and going to flush tomorrow, fingers crossed.

...just remember that any boiler is only as good at the water flowing through it..........'Gary chapter 9 verse 71

What's that from the book of grumpy verses.

I had a 2 year old boiler today, on its second pump(due to system contamination) obligatory auto filler and my new favourite :) a roomstat in the kitchen and no control at all on the hot water, so no hot water on hot days or curry night:D and very very hot water when the boiler stat is turned up.

Make sure whatever boiler you install gets a proper power flush using cleansing agents, a magna clean and properly dosed with inhibitor, and not leaks (look out for autofilling valves being used)

Now Tony if everyone did the above my life would be ruined:(, I'd have no work and no installers to moan about:eek:, I'd have to put down the iPad and talk to the wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I was often asked why "boiler man X" charges less than half what I charge for a service ?

My answer: "He's ripping you off"

You get what you pay for.

Why do people go for these "Good Deals" and are then suddenly shocked and disappointed with the end result !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

scudo2 wrote: »
    I was often asked why "boiler man X" charges less than half what I charge for a service ?

My answer: "He's ripping you off"

You get what you pay for.

Why do people go for these "Good Deals" and are then suddenly shocked and disappointed with the end result !!

A couple of months ago I was told that there was a crowd giving out flyers in my area and where charging around €45 for a gas boiler service & was asked would I be interested in doing it for a similar price.
    Said I would service there boiler exactly the same way as these guys but id do it wirelessly for €30.
    Wouldn't even need access to the house/boiler id be able to it from my van via a new app.
    In fairness when I said this he got me to service his boiler the old fashioned way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

wilser wrote: »
    A couple of months ago I was told that there was a crowd giving out flyers in my area and where charging around €45 for a gas boiler service & was asked would I be interested in doing it for a similar price.
    Said I would service there boiler exactly the same way as these guys but id do it wirelessly for €30.
    Wouldn't even need access to the house/boiler id be able to it from my van via a new app.
    In fairness when I said this he got me to service his boiler the old fashioned way :)

That's brilliant , I'll have to use it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

wilser wrote: »
    Local city corporation charge €2 on rent to cover boiler service. What they pay to service Co. is slightly less...........

County council don't if you can produce a annual service cert.

I got 3 phone calls ( from different areas) in the last year wondering if I'm the person who will post out a cert for €25 !!!!!!

Somebody is doing that. I can't find out who as they hung up as soon as I questioned them.
    None of the other guys down here have heard of this system.

Advertisement