Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Bees Nest

Options
  • 28-05-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Just discovered a Brown Bees nest in an apple tree in my garden.
    It wasn't there 2 days ago when I was cutting the grass and as much as I hate to destroy it I need to be able to walk directly under the nest to cut the grass in about a week and I can't risk it.
    Please advise me,
    Also - are these Brown bees honey producers as someone might be able to take them ( No charge ) :):)

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Contact a local bee-keeper and he will remove them for you.
    Bees are very scarce and are a vital component in nature.
    Do not destroy the nest.

I heard Philip Mc Cabe on the Mooney show talking about this earlier in the year.
    Names and contact details below --
    http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/fedstruct.html

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Not sure what you mean by brown bees (honey bees?).bees do a valuable job.don't destroy the nest.we've had bee hives.husband was keen.I was a bit nervous,but they were great.neither of us ever got stung,even though they were sited directly next to a path and we had to walk within a foot of them.leave them alone and they'll do the same for you. What part of the country are you in?our bees died,so if they're honey bees,would rather take them than see them destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Hi all
    Yes - I'd rather not destroy it too as I fully appreciate the scarcity and job that bees do for us in nature, So I'll explore every avenue before destroying believe me ..

Thank you

Hi Zoe
    If you can PM me I'll give you my location./
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭rje66

At this time of year honey bees swarm. Its not an aggressive situation it just that they split from a hive that might have been too full or many other reason.
    So if its a' ball ' of bees in a tree its prob a swarm.
    If they are in a cavity in the tree it could some form of bumble.
    Either way dont damage as others have said. A swarm will move on. Bumbles on the other hand are pretty much harmless, but think they only nest in grass and earth and banks etc.
    Keep us posted

• Advertisement

Hi All

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I am delighted to report that the bees are gone today.
    They were not there on Monday evening, turned up either Tuesday or yesterday, and are gone this afternoon.
    I find it amazing and I'm very pleased I didn't have to take any drastic action and I even got a few photos of the swarm working away yesterday.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Think they have an account on boards.ie and got the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 A Wave

rje66 wrote: »
    At this time of year honey bees swarm. Its not an aggressive situation it just that they split from a hive that might have been too full or many other reason.
    So if its a' ball ' of bees in a tree its prob a swarm.
    If they are in a cavity in the tree it could some form of bumble.
    Either way dont damage as others have said. A swarm will move on. Bumbles on the other hand are pretty much harmless, but think they only nest in grass and earth and banks etc.
    Keep us posted

I can push a little more information here...

Yes indeed, the swarm will move on as soon as they agree on a new home.
    Between 100 and 200 scouts go out househunting. They are looking for suitable cavities, with certain proven preferences (up off the ground, entrance at the bottom, entrance facing south, dry, certain volume, distance from the parent hive, preference for certain odours and so on).

On return, each scout dances on the surface of the cluster with enthusiasm in proportion to suitability of the assessed cavity. Eventually consensus is reached and off they fly to occupy the new cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

A Wave wrote: »
    I can push a little more information here...

Yes indeed, the swarm will move on as soon as they agree on a new home.
    Between 100 and 200 scouts go out househunting. They are looking for suitable cavities, with certain proven preferences (up off the ground, entrance at the bottom, entrance facing south, dry, certain volume, distance from the parent hive, preference for certain odours and so on).

On return, each scout dances on the surface of the cluster with enthusiasm in proportion to suitability of the assessed cavity. Eventually consensus is reached and off they fly to occupy the new cavity.

Huh, you learn something new every day!

I had brown bees living in just such a gap in the roof of my outbuilding last year.

cwOmBhCl.jpg

They weren't bothersome at all.

This year we have coal tits (I think) in the same spot.

Advertisement