Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert 2014: Doing all honours.. what's the bare minimum!

• 28-05-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

For English:
    - Lady Macbeth
    - Dickinson and Plath
    - Read sample personal essays

Irish:
    - Dís and Cáca Milis
    - Colscaradh and Spailpin
    - General an Triail
    - Daoine Oga and Meain Cumarsaide

Maths..fuuu- honours maths..

Biology (focusing on)
    - Respiration and Photosynthesis
    - Ecology
    - Breathing and Heart
    - Endocrine
    - Genetics
    - Cell Division and Enzymes

History (chancing)
    - Stalin (and Lenin)
    - Northern Ireland..Coleraine and Apprentice boys
    - Hoping for Treaty

These are the one's I'm worrying about anyway,
    any advice would be greatly appreciated!..
    (will swap history essays also, I have loads, those are the ones I'm focusing on.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Well straight off the bat, leaving out plant biology would be unwise. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Are you not studying Macbeth's character in Macbeth at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JAYSUS123

peekachoo wrote: »
    Yeah I'm good on plants forgot to mention sorry, reproduction not so good..
    Hotale.com wrote: »
    Are you not studying Macbeth's character in Macbeth at all?

I have an answer on him and one on kingship..not learning them off though

Why are you only doing the bare minimum?

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Why are you only doing the bare minimum?

because I'm a tool that should have studied more

• Advertisement

JAYSUS123 wrote: »
    because I'm a tool that should have studied more

In that case, I'd suggest forgetting about Plath as she is by far the least tipped poet to come up. I'd suggest doing Heaney, Dickinson, and Larkin. With those 3 done i think you'd be about 95% sure of one of your poets coming up.

And make sure you've some quotes learned off for Macbeth, they'll always come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kayla221

ok so since fifth year my english teacher has marked me extremely hard! (says i have problems with expression) i have never gotten anything over a D3 on any essay including comparative, poetry, macbeth and personal writing! i spent anything up to eight hours on one essay but the grade was always the same. in my mock i got 61%. for macbeth i got 38 marks out of 50 and for comparative i got 51 marks out or 70 i ran out of time so didnt get the poetry done, but i got 15 out of 20 on the unseen. i was delighted as id be nearly failing all year but my teacher said the paper was marked extremely easy and i deserved a D. i feel completely lost with english now and im afraid all the work i have prepaired is only D standard. i really cant afford to fail! can anyone, like literally anyone help me, im freaking out!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kayla221 wrote: »
    ok so since fifth year my english teacher has marked me extremely hard! (says i have problems with expression) i have never gotten anything over a D3 on any essay including comparative, poetry, macbeth and personal writing! i spent anything up to eight hours on one essay but the grade was always the same. in my mock i got 61%. for macbeth i got 38 marks out of 50 and for comparative i got 51 marks out or 70 i ran out of time so didnt get the poetry done, but i got 15 out of 20 on the unseen. i was delighted as id be nearly failing all year but my teacher said the paper was marked extremely easy and i deserved a D. i feel completely lost with english now and im afraid all the work i have prepaired is only D standard. i really cant afford to fail! can anyone, like literally anyone help me, im freaking out!!

Has your teacher experience as a corrector for the SEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

How many points do you need brah?

spurious wrote: »
    Has your teacher experience as a corrector for the SEC?

not that i know of, shes said to be one of the best teachers in the school and its a very high standard class tho everyone else mostly gets As or Bs

• Advertisement

not that i know of, shes said to be one of the best teachers in the school and its a very high standard class tho everyone else mostly gets As or Bs

how many points you looking to get? what levels are your subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Leaving out almost any chapter seems to be a mistake in bio unfortunately :(

Badwulf wrote: »
    how many points you looking to get? what levels are your subs?

i got 295 in the mocks and i need 350 to be safe!
    im doing biology higher, history higher, english higher, home.ec higher, french oridinary and maths ordinary.
    im relying on lcvp for 50 points to bring up my points aswell but dont know if ill get that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

History (chancing)
    - Stalin (and Lenin)
    - Hoping for Treaty
    So you're just gonna ignore America? You do realise that it's worth 1/5 of your total mark....

i got 295 in the mocks and i need 350 to be safe!
    im doing biology higher, history higher, english higher, home.ec higher, french oridinary and maths ordinary.
    im relying on lcvp for 50 points to bring up my points aswell but dont know if ill get that either.

did you study at all for your mocks?

did you study at all for your mocks?

crammed until 4 in the morning the nights before other than that not really i done homework all year but no revision or anything

crammed until 4 in the morning the nights before other than that not really i done homework all year but no revision or anything

Wow you did really well for one night of cramming ! good work haha

I didn't study a tap for my mocks and got 250, been cramming like a mad scone for the past two-three weeks, failed H bio and H ag science, if I can pass both them I'll get my points. For bio Id advise learning unit 1 and unit 2 OFF TO A FREAKIN T. then just learn some of the systems off unit 3 and all experiments and you should do very well.

I didn't study a tap for my mocks and got 250, been cramming like a mad scone for the past two-three weeks, failed H bio and H ag science, if I can pass both them I'll get my points. For bio Id advise learning unit 1 and unit 2 OFF TO A FREAKIN T. then just learn some of the systems off unit 3 and all experiments and you should do very well.

well thats brill for no study you'l do great in the real thing then! im focusing on ecology photosynthesis respiration genetics DNA the body like heart ect and all the experiments and hopefully that will do only want a c1 so hopefully. are u doing much on plants, i have no clue what to study for that??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

English teachers are ****ing delusional most of the time. I was failing/passing all year and at one stage she wanted me to drop to ordinary level. I ended up getting a C.

Just PQE and refer back to the question a LOT and you'll be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 smileitscool

History (chancing)
    - Stalin (and Lenin)
    - Hoping for Treaty

Seriously for history, do not leave out America. They are always lovely questions and it's not complicated. Definitely look over the renewal of the economy after the war, the american dream, the baby boom all of that stuff. Also look over the space race leading up to the Cold War, out teacher was pretty certain we look over that, so I dunno :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Leaving out almost any chapter seems to be a mistake in bio unfortunately :(

Truth. :P

I've only learnt all experiments, unit 1 and unit 2 off by heart and I havn't a clue where to start with unit 3 :O

I've only learnt all experiments, unit 1 and unit 2 off by heart and I havn't a clue where to start with unit 3 :O

Well if you know all that as well as you say, youre gonna do fairly well atleast . I dont do it by unit I just have a big stack of flashcards and take 3 random chapters to study each day:)

Seriously for history, do not leave out America. They are always lovely questions and it's not complicated. Definitely look over the renewal of the economy after the war, the american dream, the baby boom all of that stuff. Also look over the space race leading up to the Cold War, out teacher was pretty certain we look over that, so I dunno :P

I dont do that section.. My school cover British Retreat from Empire instead of America (I dont know why).. I never bothered mentioning it because nobody seems to do it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I don't use a book in biology, I use a little booklet which covers everything, but it's not divided into units. What is units 1 and 2 comprised of? ...Because I have no idea when people mention them.

Advertisement