Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadence in sets

Options
  • 28-05-2014 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I'm a relative newb to lifting (been on SS since the start of the year), but I'm finding that on squats (3 X 5 @105kg) and deadlifts (1 X 5 @130kg) in particular I'm needing to really catch my breath between reps in the one set. I'm still progressing on each new workout, but I'm finding it's taking me longer and longer to get through a set.

Just wondering if I should be trying to horse through the set and maybe only get to 3 or 4, or am I good taking a second or two to take a breath between reps. I'm still able to add more on each new day, so I think I'm doing alright.

just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Taking a breath between reps is no big deals. You gotta breath man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How do you breathe for a squat as it is?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Taking a breath between reps is no big deals. You gotta breath man.

The only problem might be if he's not taking a proper deep breath in at the top and just filling his chest. But other than that, yeah you gots to breathe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

How do you breathe for a squat as it is?

Taking a deep breath and trying to hold it brace the stomach and lower back before each rep, maybe exhaling on the way up with the effort, though typically exhaling at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Taking a deep breath and trying to hold it brace the stomach and lower back before each rep, maybe exhaling on the way up with the effort, though typically exhaling at the top.

Sounds about right. It's no big deal catching your breath at the top for a second or two. If it's like 30s then you should consider racking!

• Advertisement

Just to make sure (and only because I used to get it wrong too often), when you take your deep breath, does your stomach and your chest expand or do your abs 'contract' a bit for the breath?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

Under true low RM-like heavy loads (1-5 reps-ISH) I pretty much breathe each rep.(if it's a true 5RM maybe i'll do 2 with one breath)

Anything over that I'm breathing every 1-3 reps. (e.g. set of 15, I i'll do 3, breathe, lift, and so on)

Either way i'm breathing! So as the other folks said, BREATHE.

In your case you seem to be on the lower range in those examples. Learning how to breath while lifting is important so my advice to you is to breathe after each rep. As you get more comfortable it will be second nature to you as to how and when you do it. Why is it important? Outside of feeding you oxygen you need to lift and move, it keeps the body tight under a load. As a rule of thumb, exhale as you begin to complete the lift.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Just to make sure (and only because I used to get it wrong too often), when you take your deep breath, does your stomach and your chest expand or do your abs 'contract' a bit for the breath?

The best way I can describe it is breathing with my diaphragm rather than breathing with my chest. I learned to breathe that way in martial arts for steadying and being able to control / implement the core. It tied in with how it's described to breathe in the Starting Strength book, so made sense to go that route.

From your two choices, I'd say abs contract after the breath, as opposed to a big open breath that pushes your upper chest / sternum out.

The best way I can describe it is breathing with my diaphragm rather than breathing with my chest. I learned to breathe that way in martial arts for steadying and being able to control / implement the core. It tied in with how it's described to breathe in the Starting Strength book, so made sense to go that route.

From your two choices, I'd say abs contract after the breath, as opposed to a big open breath that pushes your upper chest / sternum out.

That's the one!

Just when you said you were a newbie but had to check but with a background in martial arts you're well aware of it :)

Yeah, you won't always be able to kick into the next rep straight away if you're at, or close to, your max for a 5 reps or a 3x5.

Advertisement