Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled shows that got book endings?

Options
  • 28-05-2014 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭

After reading a recent comment in the Revolution thread about someone who got the Flash Forward book to see how it ended, it got me thinking... have any other cancelled shows got continuation in book format?

I know Buffy continued in graphic novel format, and The 4400 got 4 books (2 set after the series finale).

Any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd almost be tempted to take a peak at that Flashforward book, I enjoyed that show and it was set up nicely for a future season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was the FlashForward book a continuation, or is it the book the series was based on?

Yeah, Buffy, Firefly and Angel still have comics being released, with Buffy and Angel actually being released as Seasons directly continuing the shows. Jericho has at least 2 seasons in comic form as well.

The Middleman had the season finale made into a graphic novel.

Didn't know that about 4400, though I thought the final episode worked well as a finale.

Was thinking as well maybe we need a thread for finished series that actually had a proper ending, or a finale that more or less worked as a decent ending with no big cliffhangers. Just for anyone thinking of starting a finished series. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'The X-Files' is now continuing in comic book form for its tenth season. Chris Carter has supervised the storyline so it's considered official.

Farscape continued on - again with the official backing of the creator - in comic book form from the mini series.

The Star Trek series continue on in comic book form, particularly Deep Space Nine.

Stargate: Atlantis has a series of (poor) books picking up from the show's fifth season.

Doctor Who, after its original 1989 run and again after the '96 movie, had a huge number of books and audio plays picking up the story.

The second book of 'The 4400' wraps up the story lines from the series but then, in the last chapter, sets up a new cliffhanger. If you're reading it just don't read the final one!

I have a feeling that the book, Flashforward, came before the TV show? The book was published in 1999. It's completely different to the TV show and has.. a kinda terrible ending, at least I thought so.

Edit: Different in that the style/tone/setting is different, but the set-up is still the same.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Quantum Leap had a comic book continuation. I think Charmed has a comic book season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Dark Angel the scifi shows starring Jessica Alba needed two novels to wrap up the series. not sure what the demand for them was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Most of the ones I came in to mention have already been mentioned, although on a somewhat related note, they're doing Saved By The Bell comics now apparently - further adventures of Zack and the gang back before graduation...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Firefly continued in both the film and currently in the comics. The show has an incredibly loyal following and the comics will hopefully continue a long time. All considered within continuity as Joss Whedon is still involved and I'd definitely recommend them.

Advertisement