Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Car for First Time Driver

Options
  • 27-05-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys!
    I've been looking at buying a used car as I am about to start learning how to drive. No idea where to start as regards to make and model.
    I have a budget of €2000. I'm thinking nothing older than 2004. I'd like something small with low insurance and tax?
    Does this car exist?
    Any tips?
    Thanks! :)
    P.S. I'm not that gone on Micras :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fiat Panda 1.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Go back a few years and get a decent yaris. Limiting yourself to nothing older than 2004 won't get you anything great for your budget imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Not sure what price would be but a Ford Fiesta is definitely worth a look. My first car was a 93 fiesta that I paid 800 for. That was over ten years ago so could be worth a look.

Toyota Yaris is good. My other half had an 04 and loves it. Not able to do your driving test in it I think. Passenger cannot see speed. Could be wrong, but if you need it for test, check that out for certain.

Toyota Yaris is good. My other half had an 04 and loves it. Not able to do your driving test in it I think. Passenger cannot see speed. Could be wrong, but if you need it for test, check that out for certain.

You'll get a mint 00 for €2k. You won't get an intact 04.

• Advertisement

First I've heard of it. Are you sure?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

I did my test in one in 1999 so I know that's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hyundai Getz, grand little car that tends to get overlooked:

media?xwm=y&id=15622483&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/Getz/1.1-5DR/201421224153672/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A friend of mine is selling this if it interests you OP :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/02-1-4ltr-ford-focus/7027641

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Fiat Panda or Punto should fit the bill.

Ignore the barstool motorists who say Fiats are unreliable. It's rubbish.

They are a great, cheap car for a motorist starting out, or just in general.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Fiat Panda or Punto should fit the bill.

Ignore the barstool motorists who say Fiats are unreliable. It's rubbish.

They are a great, cheap car for a motorist starting out, or just in general.

Well to be fair a punto for €2k will more than likely be this model, which can give their fair share of problems. That said I know people that have been lucky with them too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-punto-new-nct-just-passed-1950/7027138

29896886.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah but you wouldn't get an 04 in any sort of decent condition of much else that would be suitable for a first time driver.

Maybe a Seat Ibiza, a Getz or a Sirion or something like that.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Yeah but you wouldn't get an 04 in any sort of decent condition of much else that would be suitable for a first time driver.

Maybe a Seat Ibiza, a Getz or a Sirion or something like that.
    True, even sirions are hard to come by at that money. Don't get me wrong though, Im not saying the punto is a bad car. They are pretty good to drive and they are comfortable enough too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I did my test in one in 1999 so I know that's nonsense.

Well, that's that cleared up then. Thanks. Another urban legend put to bed.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Am I sure? Obviously not. This can be discovered by looking at the words "I think", "could be wrong"and telling op to check it out for certain. You know, the bits you didn't highlight. Turns out I was wrong too!

Advertisement