Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tummy tuck on medical card

Options
  • 27-05-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Okay please don't jump down my throat but what are my chances of getting a tummy tuck with my medical card?

I've had three children and have eaten healthily and exercised to try reduce the size of my tummy it hasn't made much of a difference. I have an anxiety depressive disorder for which I take quite a bit of medication and they increase your appetite. In the first few months I put on two stone and have managed to lose some but am left with the sagging tummy which I'm very self conscious and embarrassed about. I have made an appointment with my gp for tomorrow to discuss the above. Does anybody have any info on people who you have heard of getting a tummy tuck on the medical card? Thanks. I understand it's not for medical reasons per say but I am deeply effected by the size of my tummy.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I do sympathise with you as a Mother myself, I know how difficult it can be dealing with a post pregnancy body.. but I really doubt that you will get such a procedure on the Medical Card.. considering that there are children with Cancer and Down Syndrome having their cards revoked at the moment.

I would actually hope that cosmetic procedures aren't being offered on it tbh considering the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

lukesmom wrote: »
    Okay please don't jump down my throat but what are my chances of getting a tummy tuck with my medical card?

Hopefully zero.

There's far more important things our taxes should be spent on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

You'll be happy to know I got a big NO CHANCE. And I agree there are far more important things that the medical card should fund. But if you don't ask you never know. Hopefully I win the lotto soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Was gonna say, I'm left with pretty appalling looking teeth after HSE took away pretty much all dental/orthodontic care. So ya, no chance.

Anyway- swimming? I got a personal workout plan from my local gym for free, and it focussed on my core. It went:

Treadmill, stepper, rower, 15x side to side with exercise ball on either side, then 10x weights for both arms. Then swimming to cool down! Focussing on the core- rower, ball and stepper- would help tighten things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Are you doing proper exercise? As in are you doing the correct ones that will achieve a smaller tummy?

Consult with a personal trainer and follow what they tell you to do and eat.

In the meantime, save a little as often as you can. Call it your surgery fund if you like. It may take ten years to save the money, but you'll be saving it! In the meantime your body will look and function better with a clean diet and the right exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

If this was done because it was affecting a person psychologically then would a medical card even be necessary?

If the HSE deemed something which affected people deeply to be a good enough reason for surgery then wouldn't it be available for everyone if they fit the criteria regardless of whether someone had a medical card or not?

Sorry for going off topic OP, i'm just curious because I don't see why a medical card would make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Tayla wrote: »
    If this was done because it was affecting a person psychologically then would a medical card even be necessary?

If the HSE deemed something which affected people deeply to be a good enough reason for surgery then wouldn't it be available for everyone if they fit the criteria regardless of whether someone had a medical card or not?

Sorry for going off topic OP, i'm just curious because I don't see why a medical card would make a difference.

Even if I agreed with cosmetic surgery being available on the medical card, which I don't, tbh they really don't care about aesthetics. This is why I was denied orthodontic treatment as a kid, because it was purely 'cosmetic'. I know not being able to afford braces will probably lead to problems later on (which is why I intend on getting them as soon as I can afford them) the HSE (or Health Board as it was back then) were like, you can chew and swallow, good enough.

You should see the glasses they give out as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Lukesmom - I've seen your posts on the fitness forum. You need to relax. It takes time to lose weight. You're not going anywhere. Steady pace wins the race. Stop looking for quick fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

lukesmom wrote: »

My niece got one done on the medical card. Although different circumstances to yours.

Wouldn't be appropriate to post background - but suffice to say not a smooth childhood. Result was extreme morbid obesity - 24 stone-ish. Got gastric bypass privately approx 7 years ago.
    Kept weight down since operation - problem was the excess skin from obesity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    My niece got one done on the medical card. Although different circumstances to yours.

Wouldn't be appropriate to post background - but suffice to say not a smooth childhood. Result was extreme morbid obesity - 24 stone-ish. Got gastric bypass privately approx 7 years ago.
    Kept weight down since operation - problem was the excess skin from obesity.

And why exactly should my taxes pay for her because she had a hard childhood and got fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

xzanti wrote: »
    I do sympathise with you as a Mother myself, I know how difficult it can be dealing with a post pregnancy body.. but I really doubt that you will get such a procedure on the Medical Card.. considering that there are children with Cancer and Down Syndrome having their cards revoked at the moment.

I would actually hope that cosmetic procedures aren't being offered on it tbh considering the above.

ZERO and thats being honest I work in pharmacy and there are people that NEED vital meds they cant afford and they wont even give a medical card to them they arent going to pay for your tummy tuck! SAVE FOR ONE like everyone else has to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

ZERO and thats being honest I work in pharmacy and there are people that NEED vital meds they cant afford and they wont even give a medical card to them they arent going to pay for your tummy tuck! SAVE FOR ONE like everyone else has to

Why are you replying to a thread I started and got my answers to 3 months ago???

Advertisement