Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifting weights with herniated disc lower back

Options
  • 27-05-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Any advice would be great... Injured my lower back in february and just after having pain killing injections 2 weeks ago.. Pain has eased now but was wondering what lifting would be good to do that wouldnt put strain on lower back... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

torres9kop wrote: »
    Any advice would be great... Injured my lower back in february and just after having pain killing injections 2 weeks ago.. Pain has eased now but was wondering what lifting would be good to do that wouldnt put strain on lower back... Thanks

Bench or any variation of it . Pullups . Chest supported rows . Almost every machine in the gym . Theres tons of workaround dude im in the same position myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

I'd be very careful benching actually - quite easy to to over extend your lower back. All depends on the nature of the injury though.

I'd also avoid
    - shrugs
    - overhead pressing
    - Most back movements that aren't supported at the chest
    - Barbell squatting/Deadlifting
    - Leg pressing
    - anything explosive (box jumps, kettlebell swings)

Also be aware of how you hope to feel once the effects of the pain killing injections wear off. Suggest you get some guidance on a gym based program from a physio or strength coach that has worked with people in a similar situation to yourself.

Use your time pain free to stabilise the area not further aggravate it..

unilateral work
    Trunk/pelvic stability
    hamstring/hip flexibility
    Thoracic mobility

Basically get all over strong, be patient and dont launch yourself into old habits. If you are going to use resistance machines its just as important to be aware if how to maintain stability under loading as it is using free weights etc

Advertisement