Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

butterfly or parliament hinges

Options
  • 27-05-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi Folks wondering if anybody knows were I can get small decorative/vintage style butterfly or parliament hinges for small cabinets that I am building
    Darby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

There is a small hardware/ ironmongery shop on Little Mary Street, Dublin 1 that have a range of small fittings like that, probably wouldn't be the cheapest but at least you could see it in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Parliament hinges are designed to let doors swing open to a full 180 degrees. They are big chunky 4/5" hinges so I doubt you will find small versions. What are you hoping to use them for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ogill2000

Recipo I am making small cabinets about 20in height 12 in wide and 3 in deep,the are small and made from reclaimed pine, My customer wants them to look aged and stressed.I designed them to have front mounted butterfly hinges that I thought in my innocence would be available off the shelf.I searched 6 shops in Cork yesterday and not a hope of getting them off the shelf.I was going to acid etch them to stress and age them.I thought the parliament hinges would be an option if I could get them small enough.Any thing off standard now seem hard to source, I was looking also lately for 6in by three-eight or half inch pine board. impossible to get,I ended putting 1 inch board through my thicknesser,,,the way things are now I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ogill2000

Thanks Jack for the tip in Dublin,I will have a look there.I should be up there soon again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The name is the giveaway - Parliament hinges were designed for the UK houses of Parliament as they had huge heavy doors to swing open to 180 degrees.
    It seems you want to mount the hinges on the front of the door stile and wrap the other leaf around the corner to the carcass ? The problem is it would be such an ugly solution that its never done ! ( Apologies if I'm getting this wrong )
    You could get cheap brass hinges ( some have a ball end finial on top ) and simply screw them flat to the carcass/door edges ( instead of cutting shallow mortices and recessing them as per normal.) They would be pretty visible and 'rustic' looking.
    You can age brass by soaking it in a closed jar of ammonia - just watch the progress for a few days until you are happy.
    I'm afraid you won't find commercial timber in less than 1"as there is no application for it except in laminboard which is pre-finished anyway.
    Horray for planer/thicknessers !

• Advertisement
Advertisement