Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self employed + part time job

Options
  • 27-05-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,
    im working in a hotel in kitchen, i have in my contract variable hours. it means sometimes i could work 20h per week, sometimes 50. depends how busy is the buissness.
    Beside that im starting with Door to door sales rep. Im just wondering how it will with my taxes now ? Becose i pay PRSI and USC tax in my hotel job, so how it will be with the taxes in a self employment ? thank you for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hey guys,
    im working in a hotel in kitchen, i have in my contract variable hours. it means sometimes i could work 20h per week, sometimes 50. depends how busy is the buissness.
    Beside that im starting with Door to door sales rep. Im just wondering how it will with my taxes now ? Becose i pay PRSI and USC tax in my hotel job, so how it will be with the taxes in a self employment ? thank you for the help

Best is ring revenue and ask them they may share out some of your tax credits but if the season gets busy and you are working A lot of hours you may end up paying s lot of tax ie yhe higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 libor.bursik

actually i dont mind to pay higher tax, if my income will be higher. i just want to know, if there are some fees i have to pay only becose im self employed, even if i dont sell anything. example, next month june, hotel will be very busy, so i will dont do my door to door job, but becose im self employed,maybe i will have to pay some fee/tax anyway. doesnt matter i didnt earn nothing. this i want to know. if i will pay some tax extra only if i make some extra money, thats fine. thank you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

actually i dont mind to pay higher tax, if my income will be higher. i just want to know, if there are some fees i have to pay only becose im self employed, even if i dont sell anything. example, next month june, hotel will be very busy, so i will dont do my door to door job, but becose im self employed,maybe i will have to pay some fee/tax anyway. doesnt matter i didnt earn nothing. this i want to know. if i will pay some tax extra only if i make some extra money, thats fine. thank you

You only pay tax on what you earn.

There's a bit of work to doing taxes if you are self employed, you might find it useful to talk to an accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stheno wrote: »
    You only pay tax on what you earn.

There's a bit of work to doing taxes if you are self employed, you might find it useful to talk to an accountant

OP, if you start earning more than roughly E100 per week in self employment, then you may have to pay Class S PRSI as well as the regular tax from your other job, and regular tax on your self-employment job. If you are in this category, then you have to pay at least E500 (maybe it's E503) for having earnt "over the threshold" - and it's proportional after that.

I would suggest that you give it a try for a couple of months: keep aside roughly on third of what you earn in your self-employed job, so that you can use it to pay the tax.

Then in early August, so and see the people in Revenue and ask them to help you work out what paperwork you need to do.

NB this advice is based assuming you won't be earning much at all in your self employed job. If I'm wrong, and you are earning more than, say, 500/month in it, then go and seen an accountant ASAP.

Advertisement