Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Tour of Ireland...for charity!

Options
  • 27-05-2014 4:10pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 27

Hello all! Just want to start off by saying that I have no knowledge of cycling what so ever...so bear with me :)

I will be going into fourth year in September and I really want to do something meaningful during the year. I have some experience fundraising for my chosen charity but I want to make a bigger impact. So, I have decided to cycle around Ireland! I will be starting from Cork and I would like to stop in Waterford, Dublin and Ballina as I have a place to stay in each location. I have a rough idea of the route I want to take but I'm not sure if it is feasible. I am reasonably fit and will be restarting my running training in June to get me prepared for the trip.

My questions are...

1) What kind of bike would I be looking for (I will be travelling on proper roads the whole time but I will have a lot of gear on the bike - clothes,tent,etc.)??

2) How far (and for how long) would I be able to travel everyday?? - this will be the main deciding factor on where i stay.

3) How much do I need to know about repairs (and what do I need to bring with me repairs wise)??

4) What kind of other gear would I need (if any) and where can I cut down on weight??

5) I know some of my friends and family (who aren't cycling with me) would happily come along in a car to bring gear. Do you think this is necessary??

I would love any help you could give me as I really want to make this happen! Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 27 benVSS

At the minute, I have a route set up that takes 15 days:
    Cork
    Tramore, Waterford
    Arklow
    Dublin
    Newry
    Antrim Town
    Portrush, Antrim
    Letterkenny
    Sligo
    Ballina
    Galway City
    Doolin, Clare
    Limerick
    Killarney
    Cork AGAIN!

The biggest trip is cork to tramore (136km) but i have know the journey very well and ahve seen people cycle it often. Any thoughts would be great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

You should probably have a look at doing the Cycle Against Suicide (are they doing it again in 2015?). Better orgainsed then doing it yourself and better craic.

V8-CAS-Route-map-2014.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 27 benVSS

I have looked at this before, however cycling is not my main concern. I want to raise money for Mary's Meals (little known charity that give children in third world countries one hot meal in their place of education). I fell that doing something like an around the country cycle might get more attention and, therefore, would raise more money.

Advertisement