Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoI witnesses at RC marriage?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

How usual or unusual is it, at a Roman Catholic marriage in the early 1800s, to have witnesses who were Church of Ireland?

I have what appears to be an occurrence of that. Husband and wife, both CoI, who appear as witnesses at two RC marriages. One of the marriages is to a girl who evidently was CoI herself, and must have been baptised RC before her marriage. The RC baptism does not appear however, even though the marriage is there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Not unusual in my ancestors - I have seen a few CoI witnesses to RC marriages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Nowadays at least, anyone who is baptised CoI would not be re-baptised on becoming RC. I don't know for sure that this was the situation in the early 1800s. As with who could be a witness to a marriage, both of these areas are probably set out in Canon Law.

One of my ancestors was baptised CoI in 1842, and rebaptised RC as an adult in an RC church in 1864

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was a case on the last genealogy roadshow of a whole family of CoI being baptised as RC. Think it was later in the 19th century.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

One of my lot - Joseph William Halloran (b. 1876) - was baptised into the Roman Catholic church in 1903 prior to his marriage later that year. His family were Methodist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    One of my lot - Joseph William Halloran (b. 1876) - was baptised into the Roman Catholic church in 1903 prior to his marriage later that year. His family were Methodist.

Can anyone read the notation at the right hand side of the 1903 baptism? I think it's something like 'Church qrt?? condt bap' the last two words presumably meaning conditional baptism. This is what Wikipedia says about conditional baptism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_baptism - people only to be baptised once from time of Council of Trent (1545-63) unless there was an issue with the way the first baptism was conducted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Well spotted CeannRua.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Does it say Church of I consent cond bap?

I could go with 'Church of I convert / Condt bap'

Don't think it's consent - doesn't look like it and probably wouldn't be up to another denomination to give consent, I don't think.

Advertisement