Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Suit Dilemma

Options
  • 27-05-2014 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is getting married in a few months and wants to wear a suit that he feels and looks good in ............. his wife to be has basically told him that there is no money in the budget for him to buy a suit, he'll have to rent and that's that!

He's worried because he doesn't want to feel uncomfortable (he hasn't got an off-the-rail body shape) on the day ............ his argument is his bride is having a dress made costing over two grand (although in fairness she isn't paying for it herself) which she will never wear again and he feels that buying a decent suit (which he will most likely wear again) is not too much to ask ........... he has worn rented and/or cheaper (altered) suits in the past and he has never felt 100% comfortable or happy with the fit.

We asked all our married male friends what their opinion is and (in general) the lads who got a tailored-made suit were delighted whereas the lads who rented their suit ranged from "it was grand" down to regretting not splashing out and buying a suit.
    Having worn tailor-made and rented and altered suits myself I can definately tell and feel the difference!

So I think we need a larger opinion on this ............. should he stand his ground at the risk of coming off as a spoilt "groomzilla" or should he just let her have "her" big day and accept that a rented suit is his only option?

Also can you please mention in your reply if you're female/male, married/unmarried and if you (or your groom) rent/bought the suit as I think these factors make a huge difference to an indidviduals opinions.

Thanks.

ps Anybody have any idea if 600 euros is enough to buy a half-decent tailored suit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm female, getting married in a few months and my OH will be buying a tailored suit.

I think he should stand his ground on this. A good suit will last him years and years and he'll probably spend a similar amount of money on multiple crappy suits in the mean time. I'd also say 600 euro is loads of money (my OH's is costing 400 euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jes that is harse on him, sure tis everyones day!! I would stand his ground most defo and if she didn't give in then tis very easy if she is a bad as that then say well right if im renting a suit then you are renting a dress for the day and it cant go above a certain amount..

Defo stand his ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

bee06 wrote: »
    I'm female, getting married in a few months and my OH will be buying a tailored suit.

I think he should stand his ground on this. A good suit will last him years and years and he'll probably spend a similar amount of money on multiple crappy suits in the mean time. I'd also say 600 euro is loads of money (my OH's is costing 400 euro).

Thanks Bee, I agree ............ can you pm me details of where your future hubby is getting his suit please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

My husband bought a Caneli (not sure of spelling) suit in Louis Copelands for our big day. It was around €600 and he wears it all the time. I think the bride is being very unreasonable. It's his wedding day and he should look and feel his best.

How much are they spending on flowers or a car for the day? I would much rather save on those dispensable items than on his comfort.

When he looks back on the photos he wants to remember how happy he was and not how uncomfortable.

My husband wears his to functions all the time, whereas I often have to buy a new outfit for a wedding/birthday etc. A good fitting suit will more than pay for itself.

He should put his foot down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I'm female and I think she's being very selfish it's not just her day it's his day to !
    I mean how would she of felt if he had turned round and told her she should hire her dress ?
    No he should stand his ground and say I'm buying one so that he can feel comfortable too but even better he should think twice about marrying her at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Thanks Bee, I agree ............ can you pm me details of where your future hubby is getting his suit please?

PM sent :)

This post has been deleted.

Lol In fairness to her she's not at all precious, she wouldn't spend that kind of money on a dress herself ........... it's only because her mother insisted on it and insisted on paying for it ........... she's a lovely lovely girl and they're both very lucky to have eachother.

The only issue they have is the suit issue ............ he hasn't made any other "demands" so to speak and she isn't treating herself with anything special ie. she's not blowing the budget on extravagant things that only she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I think he's dead right and should stick to his guns. I'm getting married in October and the husband to be's suit is costing almost as much as my dress. He got his tailor made in Louis Copeland's. He's into his clothes and likes to look well so why should he put up with an ill fitting rented suit?

There's no need for a decent suit to cost that much either tho. We went halves with the groomsmen on an off the rack suit from Louis Copeland's. They cost €300 each and they alter them to fit perfectly. They're lovely on the lads and they'll always have them afterwards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm female and engaged. There was never any question of my fiancé renting a suit! We've budgeted €500, but we'll be buying it in Canada so will hopefully get more for our money than we would here in Ireland.

I think he should definitely stand his ground. A well-fitting, well-tailored suit should be a main priority - far higher than flowers, wedding cars, favours or anything like that.

I for one can't wait to see my fiancé in a gorgeous suit on the day! I'd hate if he was wearing an ill-fitting suit he wasn't comfortable in when I'd spent thousands on looking the best I possibly could.

If they're really, really stuck for money, he could buy a lovely suit in M&S or similar for about €150 and have it tailored to fit him perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Suit and Tux warehouse in Dublin is great, we bought suits for my husband and both dads, looked amazing and didn't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

1. He should choose what to wear himself.

2. He should pay for it himself!

Caveat - if he is a person, not to be indelicate, whose body shape or size changes often (for example if he struggles with his weight) then buying a tailored suit mightn't be a great investment as he mightn't always fit into it.
    Otherwise, a good suit would be a great investment and last for years if you go for a classic cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If the groom gets a new suit, will the best man/groomsmen have to get new suits too, to match, or can they still hire?

I think a good suit is a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

He should knock her out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

600€ - that's about the cost of dinner for ten guests, so if she really needs persuading, he should tell her he's dropping ten names off his side of the list. Assuming they're having a reception, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

If your buddy is paying for the wedding he needs to grow a backbone and tell his wife to be that its not her day its their day.

I got married to my wife last year and i had my suit made, it cost me 600 euro but because i had it made i got a special deal on the suits i rented. It also added a little bit uniqueness on the day because any place that rents and makes suits will have something similar but not matching when renting. I still use the suit as a business suit and had it tailored specifically so it could be a muli-purpose suit.

The big issue here is the whole forbidding him to get the suit, i mean by this stage he has dropped x amount on an engagement ring, x amount on a wedding ring, probably cheaped out on his own wedding ring if this thread is anything to go by, and has to host allot of people half of which he doesnt know. If a little bit of comfort on the day can be gotten by having his own suit he should go for it.

Money can be saved by cutting people from the guest list.

Thanks everybody for your replies (the Groom has read this thread in it's entirety) ......... I've been asked to clarify a couple of things ........ firstly there is no question of the Bride to be not being Miss Right, they have been together, in love and living together for several years with a couple of gorgeous kids.

He put his foot down with herself from minute one ........ he was always going to buy a suit (costing no more than 600 euros) no matter what she said ......... he (and I) just wanted reassurance that he wasn't being unreasonably stubborn and judging by the replies here he wasn't :)

The reason the budget was an issue was because of the arrangement they had come to when deciding how they were going to pay for everything ............ her father is paying for the venue (wouldn't have been possible to get married otherwise), her mother is paying for her dress and the bride would be saving her entire salary to pay for everything else while the groom was going to pay for the mortgage, utility bills, food, kids etc. leaving neither of them with any disposable cash at the end of each month until the wedding was totally paid for ............. this issue arose when the groom asked the bride what budget she had set aside for his suit ......... then all hell broke loose!! lol
    He told her that he was splitting the utility bills with her until he saved the money for his suit .......... in fairness to the bride she is saving every penny she can and has cut corners ie no cars as they are getting married in the venue of the reception etc.

Anyway she has seen the light and realised that it's just as important to her as it is to him that he feels comfortable in a decent suit on the day so she's doing extra hours in work in order to pay for it (now HE feels guilty but that's another story!!) so they're both happy and in love again :)

Thanks everybody for the advise on suit prices/options and where to get them, the groom (and bride) really appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Happy Days All Sorted best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Problem arose.
    Both stood their ground initially.
    Both realised there was logic behind the other persons argument.
    Both found a way to reach a solution.
    Both happy and seeing each other's perspective.
    Problem solved.

Both sound like they've a great partnership in marraige ahead of them.

I'm glad they have it resolved

Advertisement