Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching permanently/full-time in Korea or Japan?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm seeing a lot of posts in the forum talking about teaching in either of these countries. Currently in 6th year and about to do the LC (wish me luck!).

However I am seriously considering going abroad to teach english. And I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. How do I go about doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

For these countries, you need to have a degree in order to get a visa to teach.

Do you intend getting a degree after you finish the Leaving?

If not, you will have to consider other countries in which to teach.

Good luck with the Leaving! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jvrodriguez

For these countries, you need to have a degree in order to get a visa to teach.

Do you intend getting a degree after you finish the Leaving?

If not, you will have to consider other countries in which to teach.

Good luck with the Leaving! :p

Thank you and I most definitely am considering it!
    I wont have any experience in teaching though. And some jobs require 1/2 (not all jobs). How would I go about getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I wont have any experience in teaching though. And some jobs require 1/2 (not all jobs). How would I go about getting this?

As mentioned for Korea and Japan you will need a Bachelors Degree, so you'll have to attend college for 3-4 years.
    Not sure on entrance requirements to other countries (I'm currently in Korea)

You can always do a teaching course for EFL, such as the CELT/CELTA.
    It will set you back just over 1k, but I think you also might have requirement on this...
    For the place I did it...CES in Dublin...the requirements were as follows
    Entry Requirements

Candidates should be at least 21 years of age and hold a university degree or equivalent (minimum Level 7 according to the National Qualification Authority Ireland (http://www.hetac.ie/)

Candidates without a NQAI level 7 must sign a waiver precluding them from seeking employment in the ACELS recognized sector in Ireland. Non-native speakers may be admitted provided that their level of English is equivalent to that of the Council of Europe's Mastery level C2 (Proficiency).

Best of luck in your leaving, might be early days to think of going to Asia to teach though...18/19 is quite young for it.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    As mentioned for Korea and Japan you will need a Bachelors Degree, so you'll have to attend college for 3-4 years.
    Not sure on entrance requirements to other countries (I'm currently in Korea)

You can always do a teaching course for EFL, such as the CELT/CELTA.
    It will set you back just over 1k, but I think you also might have requirement on this...
    For the place I did it...CES in Dublin...the requirements were as follows

Best of luck in your leaving, might be early days to think of going to Asia to teach though...18/19 is quite young for it.

Really sorry if I didnt specify :p
    I plan on getting a degree (Arts in NUIG) and maybe even a post-Grad before heading out to Korea.

How's your experience in Korea? Are you teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

You are planning well in advance :-) Good for you!

Don't worry. There are plenty of jobs in both countries where experience isn't required. It might be more competitive in Japan, but certainly in Korea, it is full of first timers :-)

Like the other poster mentioned, I'd highly recommend you get a CELTA/CELT before you go out. This is a highly practical course where you will get good teaching practice.

There are plenty of of us in the Teaching Abroad forum who have worked in Korea, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :-) Also, you should consult this link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471189 and work through it. There is lots of invaluable advice on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Really sorry if I didnt specify :p
    I plan on getting a degree (Arts in NUIG) and maybe even a post-Grad before heading out to Korea.

How's your experience in Korea? Are you teaching?

Ahhh, well then once you get your degree you should be ok.
    I wouldn't be worrying about anything else at the moment :D...that's about 3-4 years away

The job scene in Korea is declining, but there are still lots of jobs about, the government are reducing the numbers of foreign teachers here by a lot.
    I teach in a public Secondary school, I really like it :)

The CELTA course, once you've finished college or whatever, will really help alleviate any fears , questions or ideas you have about teaching abroad.
    I highly recommend it.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Ahhh, well then once you get your degree you should be ok.
    I wouldn't be worrying about anything else at the moment :D...that's about 3-4 years away

The job scene in Korea is declining, but there are still lots of jobs about, the government are reducing the numbers of foreign teachers here by a lot.
    I teach in a public Secondary school, I really like it :)

The CELTA course, once you've finished college or whatever, will really help alleviate any fears , questions or ideas you have about teaching abroad.
    I highly recommend it.

Fair enough thanks.
    Think there'll still be work in Korea in 4 years time? Or maybe it'll be China

Advertisement