Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When/how to give present?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Quick question- going to a wedding soon and not sure how exactly I give them their present (cash)?! First wedding of a friend that I'm going to so haven't had to worry about it before.

Is it a matter of cash in an envelope?? That seems a bit risky in terms of them getting that much cash on the day? Considered a cheque but don't live in Ireland so would be too awkward.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Normally put the cash in a card in sealed envelope and give to Best Man
    Most hotels let them store them in safe overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I give direct to bride and groom whenever I see them before or after the wedding.
    I've been stung before with cards going missing on the wedding day.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Addle wrote: »
    I give direct to bride and groom whenever I see them before or after the wedding.
    I've been stung before with cards going missing on the wedding day.

It does seem a recipe for disaster to have so much cash floating round but I guess it's unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

TheNibbler wrote: »
    It does seem a recipe for disaster to have so much cash floating round but I guess it's unavoidable.

Not unavoidable at all - a lot of our friends/neighbours came to our parents houses and hand delivered them a week before the wedding. Sorted!

Not unavoidable at all - a lot of our friends/neighbours came to our parents houses and hand delivered them a week before the wedding. Sorted!

That would be a good plan but unfortunately I won't have time as flying in he night before the big day. The same is true of a lot of guests. I think the best solution will get my OH to hand it over the morning of as he's part of the wedding party. A few friends have been wondering the same but I think they'll just have to stick it in a card and hand it over on the day. Hopefully there'll be a safe as a previous poster mentioned. Or maybe I just imagine the worst case scenario too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I always go to my bank and get a gift cheque. Saves the issue of giving cash. I'd usually try and give it either to the best man on the day, or to the b&g in the weeks coming up to the wedding.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I always go to my bank and get a gift cheque. Saves the issue of giving cash. I'd usually try and give it either to the best man on the day, or to the b&g in the weeks coming up to the wedding.

Out of interest is a gift cheque a bank draft or something different? Do you need a bank account to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

cash is fine sure you just pop it in the envelope with the card and hand it to the best man..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

TheNibbler wrote: »
    Out of interest is a gift cheque a bank draft or something different? Do you need a bank account to get one?

It is essentially a bank draft- they put it in a card in the bank- that's probably the only difference. And yes, I think you do need a bank account to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just ask them for the number of the bank account that you can stick the pressie into, and do the transfer before you even leave home. Sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement