Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cantwell's memorial of the Dead

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I intend to search Cantwell's memmorial of the dead for ancestors inscriptions as they mostly hail from Wexford which I believe were comprehensively covered..

To get the most bang from my buck , would anyone have any site recommendations for this as I don't intend forking out for the actual cd's.

Findmypast ,eneclann.ie & origins all seem to have the records.Unfortunately Ancestry don't :(
    Would any of the sites above have other records say that ancestry don't have which are worth the temp subscription ??

Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't know if it's any good to you but the newspaper archive on Find My Past has proved quite useful to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

FMP does a free trial.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Try the National Library of Ireland or the National Archives, in Bishops Street (could be wrong over 15 years since I was last there).

Edit: or Pearse St Library

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes Pearse Gilbert Research Room has a set on open shelving. You will need to bring some photo ID and they will give you a reading card for two years. It is open all day on a Saturday, does not close for lunch and decent cafe on premises also.

They will make a photo copy of any pages of interest for 10 cent a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

A sub for FMP is only 9.95 a month . Well worth it compared to parking, petrol and coffee/scone !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

FMP has a limited selection of Dublin directories - if you have time to go to Pearse Street, you will find a complete set for every year from the late 1770s onwards, on the open shelves.

Other jewels include the index and copies of the burial registers for Mount Jerome on microfilm. The registers give information on where the dead person lived, what they died of, who made the funeral arrangements, the location of the grave, and if there's a headstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yes Pearse is a great place to visit. Database of church records (are they now all online?) and also Voters registration lists for Dublin up to 1960's I think. And a notice board for news of events.... Newspapers in digital format, not just Irish Times and actual copies available to peruse.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Other jewels include the index and copies of the burial registers for Mount Jerome on microfilm. The registers give information on where the dead person lived, what they died of, who made the funeral arrangements, the location of the grave, and if there's a headstone.

Didn't know that. Have you used them?
    How are they arranged? Is it alphabetical or by year?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hermy wrote: »
    Didn't know that. Have you used them?
    How are they arranged? Is it alphabetical or by year?

The actual burial registers are on microfilm. The details are entered on a chronological basis. If you have the exact date of death you can go straight to the microfilm for that year and whizz to the page for that date. If you don't know the date, there is a separate index on microfilm which lists burials alphabetically by the first letter of the surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I think Mt Jerome is planning an online service akin go Glasnevin.

• Advertisement

That would be another wonderful resource Annie.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement