Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitkat for the S3

Options
  • 26-05-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Does anyone know will it be available for Galaxy S3 anytime soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not unless you put a custom mod on it like Cyanogenmod I'd say as they will only be supporting the S4 and S5 now
    I have it on mine using AOKP

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

How does it run is there any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

samsung said they are not releasing it for the s3 despite the ongoing issues with the previous updates which it was supposed to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Skatedude wrote: »
    samsung said they are not releasing it for the s3 despite the ongoing issues with the previous updates which it was supposed to fix

And despite 4.4 being optimised for sub-1gb RAM devices (their excuse is that they can't do it because the S3 "only" has 1gb RAM). They just want S3 users to pony up for a S5.

I've been using Cyanogenmod 11 on my S3 via their installer app since February, and it's been trouble- and bug-free for me. I think S4 users haven't been as happy with Cyanogenmod 11, but I find it great, gave my S3 a whole new lease of life. I only regret not putting a ROM on it the day I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

corwill wrote: »
    And despite 4.4 being optimised for sub-1gb RAM devices (their excuse is that they can't do it because the S3 "only" has 1gb RAM). They just want S3 users to pony up for a S5.

I've been using Cyanogenmod 11 on my S3 via their installer app since February, and it's been trouble- and bug-free for me. I think S4 users haven't been as happy with Cyanogenmod 11, but I find it great, gave my S3 a whole new lease of life. I only regret not putting a ROM on it the day I bought it.

Is that the 'nighlys' version?? im just looking at upgrading mine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

A320 wrote: »
    Is that the 'nighlys' version?? im just looking at upgrading mine

No, the Installer versions are on different update cycles. It appears from Cyanogen's own forum that people have been getting bothered by the lack of OTA updates for those who use the Installer, and they're not committing to any kind of schedule on such updates.

I haven't had an update since I first installed back in February, but I'm not that pushed, because I'm happy with the version I have. I suppose there's always the worry that they might lose interest in the installer project, but even if they do, I can always roll up my sleeves and flash whichever version of regular Cyanogenmod I want.

I went with their installer because I was part-lazy/part-cowardly about rooting and flashing my phone, didn't want to accidentally brick it. Even then, it took Samsung's awful 4.3 update to drive me to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Keep in mind once you put an installer version of CM on your phone you'll be rooted with a custom recovery so all you have to do is download a snapshot or nightly zip and install that then from recovery mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Skatedude wrote: »
    corwill wrote: »

I thought I heard somewhere that 4.4 is already released in some regions and it's just a matter of time before we get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

SickBoy wrote: »
    I thought I heard somewhere that 4.4 is already released in some regions and it's just a matter of time before we get it?

That's only in America. The American version has 2 gigs of ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

That's only in America. The American version has 2 gigs of ram.

Balls! :(

Advertisement