Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic alarm system for elderly couple

Options
  • 26-05-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I want to get/install a panic alarm system for my elderly parents, but I don't want/need to install a full house alarm system.
    Just after a unit which when wired panic buttons are hit, will sound an internal ringer, external ringer and use a GSM/SIM-Card to text and/or call a batch of numbers to signal the system has been activated.
    I can wire up the panic buttons, ringers, central box etc. so no problems there in terms of installation.

Do such 'stand alone' type units exist outside of just getting a full house alarm? Could someone recommend a panic alarm system?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This could be done with any standalone dialler , an internal siren & a relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Does such a system exist in a kit or semi kit form?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not that I'm aware of. The nearest would be something like a dedicated elderly care system where you pay for central station monitoring.
    Would be very simple to do once you have the digi & a 12vdc power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Where abouts in the country,are they based?There are local groups that provide subisided alarms,think it consists of a an alert panel on the wall & another device,that they can carry on their person,it can have upto 5 numbers of neighbours,friends living nearby,once activated,these people are contacted & if they don't get a response,the guards are called.

Don't know if this is what u have in mind,but the citizens advice website,have more info,under senior alerts,I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

coathanger wrote: »
    Where abouts in the country,are they based?There are local groups that provide subisided alarms,think it consists of a an alert panel on the wall & another device,that they can carry on their person,it can have upto 5 numbers of neighbours,friends living nearby,once activated,these people are contacted & if they don't get a response,the guards are called.

Don't know if this is what u have in mind,but the citizens advice website,have more info,under senior alerts,I think!
    Did a search, unsure if its what I'm after.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. The nearest would be something like a dedicated elderly care system where you pay for central station monitoring.
    Would be very simple to do once you have the digi & a 12vdc power supply.
    It be a kit which folks would want to purchase if it existed. I see some China kits, but they have wireless pendants. Ideally want wired as then there's no need to worry about batteries.
    Would a supplier of alarm system be willing to setup the digi, label the outputs etc? I have a 12vdc unit from an old camera system

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Would a supplier of alarm system be willing to setup the digi, label the outputs etc? I have a 12vdc unit from an old camera system

They should be able to. If not you would certainly get all the help you need here.

Advertisement