Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me sort my painting error!?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Ok, so I was all gung ho and powered ahead with painting 2 pine bedside lockers. 3 coats of B&Q any surface paint later and they looked great! However, as soon as I put the drawers back into the lockers the paint has started chipping! I now know I should have used a primer! Anyway, after I've had a rest I'm going to see if I can rescue them. Suggestions to sort this problem out would be greatly appreciated. Is there a sealant I could get as I really want to keep the color. Or would a clear varnish work? I painted them a really light grey which I really love. Sob sob sob :-)

Thanks kids

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Hale

Ok, so I was all gung ho and powered ahead with painting 2 pine bedside lockers. 3 coats of B&Q any surface paint later and they looked great! However, as soon as I put the drawers back into the lockers the paint has started chipping! I now know I should have used a primer! Anyway, after I've had a rest I'm going to see if I can rescue them. Suggestions to sort this problem out would be greatly appreciated. Is there a sealant I could get as I really want to keep the color. Or would a clear varnish work? I painted them a really light grey which I really love. Sob sob sob :-)

Thanks kids
    Get a clear varnish and go over them it will act as a lack er

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Varnish wont help as it will still chip.The paint you have used hadn't a key to grip to as you didn't sand the old finish that was on them.
    If its chipping where the drawer hits when closing you could maybe scrape that area and give it a good sanding and reapply the paint.

Only way to do it right though now is to strip back the paint you used and start again.This time sand it very well.
    It might be a tedious job to do or you may be lucky and the new paint may come off easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭violetanderson

That's exactly what's happening. I'll have a go again this weekend, with sand paper and determination :-)

Thanks
    game4it70 wrote: »
    Varnish wont help as it will still chip.The paint you have used hadn't a key to grip to as you didn't sand the old finish that was on them.
    If its chipping where the drawer hits when closing you could maybe scrape that area and give it a good sanding and reapply the paint.

Only way to do it right though now is to strip back the paint you used and start again.This time sand it very well.
    It might be a tedious job to do or you may be lucky and the new paint may come off easily.

Advertisement