Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Probook 4510s overheating issue

Options
  • 26-05-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a HP Probook 4510s.

The computer keeps shutting down from overheating, The fan doesn't run when I'm in the OS. When I go into BIOS I can hear the fan working, so it's not a hardware issue.

Hardware:

Memory: 2.9 GiB
    Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T6570 @ 2.10GHz × 2
    Graphics Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
    OS type 32-bit
    Disk 311.8 GB

I ran a google search on this and the only advice I could find is to turn off Switchable graphics in the BIOS, but this option is not available to me.

If anyone has had this issue before, or knows how to fix this, I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently studying for exams which requires watching a lot of web seminars and when the lappy keeps shutting down in the middle of them it gets fair annoying.

EDIT: nevermind, I found a setting in the BIOS > Device Configuration > Enable Vizualization Techonology, Fan seem to be working now and it hasn't shut down once.

Advertisement