Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a old non-running lorry

Options
  • 26-05-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I am prepairing to move the remains of an old cattle lorry and have a few questions about how to go about it.
    First off the lorry has no cab or front axle so Its basically a trailer really and its been sitting for about 15 years. I scavanged around my dads yard and got 3 short lengths of girder and welded them onto the chassis legs to make a temporary drawbar.
    All good so far but I'm not 100% sure about the brakes on this thing. Is there any simple way to release the brakes or am I resigned to dragging it to its final resting place? I'd rather not have to drag it (or seriously test my welding) because theres a few tight manuvers needed to get it to where it needs to go. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Have you considered semtex? Or a gas torch?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Semtex is out I'm afraid, too close to buildings. Oxy-acetelene would be a last resort. If I can move it in one piece it would be much better and less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Blow the brake actuator rods off with an oxy/acetylene torch to release the brakes.

Cheers maud, Thats the rod coming out from the clam shaped device next each wheel, right?

scudster wrote: »
    Cheers maud, Thats the rod coming out from the clam shaped device next each wheel, right?

Make sure to chock the wheels to stop the truck rolling away when the brakes go off.

• Advertisement

maudgone wrote: »
    Make sure to chock the wheels to stop the truck rolling away when the brakes go off.

Cheers, hope the shoes aren't seized to the drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

maudgone wrote: »

If it's sitting for 15 years as the OP said, rolling away will be the least of his problems!! :)

Avns1s wrote: »
    If it's sitting for 15 years as the OP said, rolling away will be the least of his problems!! :)

If he's lying underneath it I can see a big problem.

I will chock the wheels before I attempt releasing the brakes.
    Might have a problem getting a torch to cut the actuator rod. Would it be possible to burn through with an arc welder safely presuming the rod would have most of its stroke completed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

scudster wrote: »
    I will chock the wheels before I attempt releasing the brakes.
    Might have a problem getting a torch to cut the actuator rod. Would it be possible to burn through with an arc welder safely presuming the rod would have most of its stroke completed?

Grinder, sorted. Do you not have a mini-digger or tractor that will just drag the yoke to where you want it? I have a grab on a 3 ton mini and it drags severe loads out to be hoiked away for scrap. Things with wheels don't even count, it's the ones with no wheels that are a challenge.

• Advertisement

Was out working on it today. The brakes setup are a little different to what I'd imagined. They seem to be operated by one actuator with 2 long slim rods and Id expect these rod s to be under tension rather than compression.
    Heres a few pics that might explain it better. I reckon the truck is well over 40 years old. reg # is LIZ920 if anyone cares to decypher it.
    0A3505F2-CF34-410E-9EF0-6705B5DF3154_zpsbqvur2yc.jpg
    BF272856-5500-4F00-8B7F-8F80D077EBB1_zpss0mtwxw3.jpg
    551707D5-D404-4A3D-8447-038BE08C2284_zpsbxg5tmkg.jpg
    6DE93CE2-EA56-4670-A771-2B460985908D_zpsedmicqf1.jpg
    D30BA2C5-BB3C-4BD0-834B-A42D50A9E3FD_zpsuncv91un.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

That registration would have been issued in Mayo sometime around 1965 at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

just pull it. A tractor will drag it no bother. Cant see anything being free enough to move on it as it stands.

I've cut the 2 rods going to each drum and tapped them towards the drums. They moved in a bit but I've yet to attempt to move it. Hopefully one of the days during the week if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

mickdw wrote: »
    just pull it. A tractor will drag it no bother. Cant see anything being free enough to move on it as it stands.

I would agree. the brakes will be seized on. if you want it to roll you will have to find the adjuster and back them offand beat the drums /brakes and hope they back off.
    I bought a trailer that was lying for 15 years and its breaks were seized and took a bit to free them out

Got around to attempt to move the auld yoke. And believe it or not it moved without a struggle. Wheels weren't locked up at all! What a result!
    Here's where she stood for god knows how long:
    230F0B4A-5B94-4083-AD9C-8BF4C7F1C078_zpshezofabf.jpg
    The floor is rotten but the front and side timbers are all sound.

Here she is on the move:
    3DC653DF-3246-42F7-9738-4633E745240A_zpsgicbu2xp.jpg

D50E5323-0C1A-416F-A422-E8629F845E98_zpslbzre8to.jpg

And the void she left behind:
    F0C97242-C7B5-4CCE-9E4D-F63193520562_zpsufruoq3z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Stick it up on Adverts.ie or DoneDeal at €900, job's a good one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

that reg plate on the back of the trailer is worth keeping.....:D (put it on that fancy beemer :D)

that reg plate on the back of the trailer is worth keeping.....:D (put it on that fancy beemer :D)

Wouldn't call a 10 year old car fancy but I like the idea of sticking the reg on it especially for zipping down the M50 or past a speed van! :p

Advertisement