Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies

Options
  • 26-05-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Any predictions for the drawing question? The pre was a window which is one of the easier drawings to memorize, so im hoping we all dont get a nasty surprise and its a stairs or something on the day, anyone have any ideas on what drawings have a high/low chance of coming up? The rest of the construction paper is rather easy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Stairs came up last year so extremely unlikely it will come up as Q1 this year.

The pre question has got nothing to do with anything in June

Other than that it could be anything

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

they could be pricks about it this year and put in the bottom of the stairs seen it was the top last year

what are u going over for the other questions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dylan_1996

caolan1996 wrote: »
    what are u going over for the other questions ?

So far i have sit safety, drainage, planning permission and sustainable environment, foundations, u value etc, main topics that are broad

they could be pricks about it this year and put in the bottom of the stairs seen it was the top last year

Hopefully not, worst drawing ever! So nasty, Hopefully a roof of some kind

• Advertisement

our teacher said it might be a suspended timber floor

planning permission why are u doing that it never came up in the last 10 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

best bet for construction is learn all the drawings off by heart, U values then learn question 6 and 10 which are mostly to do with passive housing, they repeat themselves a hell of a lot

our teacher said it might be a suspended timber floor

planning permission why are u doing that it never came up in the last 10 years ?

Better to be safe than sorry, if it hasnt come up at all whats to stop it coming up now as a surprise? Plus it takes about 5 minutes to memorize the entire chapter

Badwulf wrote: »
    best bet for construction is learn all the drawings off by heart, U values then learn question 6 and 10 which are mostly to do with passive housing, they repeat themselves a hell of a lot

Seems to be a huge focus on passive housing in all the papers, boring but easy, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

From where do you study passive housing? I heard a lot of people counting on that, where can find it? Does anyone have any notes or something?

• Advertisement

Badwulf wrote: »

Question 6 is not a passive house question. Don't make that mistake of talking about passive house in question 6. They don't ask 2 questions that have the same answer in an exam, that would be pointless.

There are parts of the questions/theory of the question that do overlap slightly but don't make the mistake of talking about passive house, part A specifically asks about that house in the drawing and unless it has an MHRV unit in the drawing it is not a passive house.

seavill wrote: »
    Question 6 is not a passive house question. Don't make that mistake of talking about passive house in question 6. They don't ask 2 questions that have the same answer in an exam, that would be pointless.

There are parts of the questions/theory of the question that do overlap slightly but don't make the mistake of talking about passive house, part A specifically asks about that house in the drawing and unless it has an MHRV unit in the drawing it is not a passive house.

what is question 6 what can come up in it ?
    do you think wheelchair access will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I've prioritized Wheelchair access, Windows/Light, Sewage/Drainage, Insulation.

Apart from those I've focused all my attention on the drawings, U-value question and Q9 which is usually air-tightness/cold bridges etc. There are always 2 drawing questions, a U-value question and something to do with air-tightness etc. So I'm banking on those 4 questions along with a question about one of the topics above. If no question comes up about Wheelchairs, Light, Drainage etc. than I'm gonna fall back on question 6 or 3 which really can be waffled through so long as you have good common sense.

@Seavill I'm wondering what exactly the criteria is for full marks in certain questions, the drawings specifically. It says in the marking scheme that any 12 correct details will get me full marks but everytime I've done a question in a class test I've been nailed for marks for leaving out just one detail or getting a few dimensions wrong. As in I could have 12-15 things correct but maybe left out or got 5 other things wrong and I'd end up getting 70% or something.

FatRat wrote: »

Apart from those I've focused all my attention on the drawings, U-value question and Q9 which is usually air-tightness/cold bridges etc. There are always 2 drawing questions, a U-value question and something to do with air-tightness etc. So I'm banking on those 4 questions along with a question about one of the topics above. If no question comes up about Wheelchairs, Light, Drainage etc. than I'm gonna fall back on question 6 or 3 which really can be waffled through so long as you have good common sense.

@Seavill I'm wondering what exactly the criteria is for full marks in certain questions, the drawings specifically. It says in the marking scheme that any 12 correct details will get me full marks but everytime I've done a question in a class test I've been nailed for marks for leaving out just one detail or getting a few dimensions wrong. As in I could have 12-15 things correct but maybe left out or got 5 other things wrong and I'd end up getting 70% or something.

For the wheelchair access are you focusing on the gradient of the ramp and how it can be implemented to the entrance to the house as your main points? or do you have any more? As you said 6 and 3 can be waffled through with common sense which can be a good/bad thing at the same time. The U-Value is either learn it or you're passing up a guarenteed question and throwing away 100 marks, its nice that its easy enough to do so long as its not asking for the usage of KJ per whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Dylan_1996 wrote: »
    For the wheelchair access are you focusing on the gradient of the ramp and how it can be implemented to the entrance to the house as your main points? or do you have any more? As you said 6 and 3 can be waffled through with common sense which can be a good/bad thing at the same time. The U-Value is either learn it or you're passing up a guarenteed question and throwing away 100 marks, its nice that its easy enough to do so long as its not asking for the usage of KJ per whatever.

Do we have to be able to show how to install the ramp? I don't know.. All I am learning is all the dimension of certain things so the space is suitable for a wheelchair. For example.. 800mm min. Door space.. Light switches 900-1200 in height, suitable width of corridors etc. Also I've learned a suitable layout for a bathroom and kitchen I.e. where grab rails should go and the position of toilet/sink/shower. That sort of stuff.

Do we have to be able to show how to install the ramp? I don't know.. All I am learning is all the dimension of certain things so the space is suitable for a wheelchair. For example.. 800mm min. Door space.. Light switches 900-1200 in height, suitable width of corridors etc. Also I've learned a suitable layout for a bathroom and kitchen I.e. where grab rails should go and the position of toilet/sink/shower. That sort of stuff.

I did briefly explain just how it might be attached via an already pre existing porch or something with railings going along the edge for safety and such, And the layout for the rest of the house you know pretty well, another thing is the lowering of counters down to a more reachable height, or so my teacher told us anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

Im personally trying to jus learn all 'normal' drawing questions off. roof floors window door... then knowing all the other ones fairly well like upper floors. This gurantees you two drawing questions on the paper and if u look at the marking scheme to them they are marked soooo easy. (My teacher is thinkin to learn chimney meet roof as if they take the same approach as last year and be sneaky bout question 1 that is a good possibility)

After that wheelchair or safety is coming up. Look safety doesnt need to be studied and if it came up wud be a simple question but wheelchair is more likely this year. Learn the bathroom really well and know a few details bout front entrance and kitchen.

This leaves two questions to do... u-value and passive housing. U-value is piss up to part c where any knowledge of sitting in class the last two years shud get you by. And passive housing is same questions each year. Know your mvhr unit perfectly and the advantages and disadvantages to passive houses and ull be fine. (my mock was brutally marked... i got marks deducted everywhere for nothing. Saying this i still got 89% and full marks in question 10, this is why i recommend that question)

jimbob1255 wrote: »
    Im personally trying to jus learn all 'normal' drawing questions off. roof floors window door... then knowing all the other ones fairly well like upper floors. This gurantees you two drawing questions on the paper and if u look at the marking scheme to them they are marked soooo easy. (My teacher is thinkin to learn chimney meet roof as if they take the same approach as last year and be sneaky bout question 1 that is a good possibility)

After that wheelchair or safety is coming up. Look safety doesnt need to be studied and if it came up wud be a simple question but wheelchair is more likely this year. Learn the bathroom really well and know a few details bout front entrance and kitchen.

This leaves two questions to do... u-value and passive housing. U-value is piss up to part c where any knowledge of sitting in class the last two years shud get you by. And passive housing is same questions each year. Know your mvhr unit perfectly and the advantages and disadvantages to passive houses and ull be fine. (my mock was brutally marked... i got marks deducted everywhere for nothing. Saying this i still got 89% and full marks in question 10, this is why i recommend that question)

what do u mean by upper floor do u mean suspended timber floor ?
    ya in my mock i was deducted marks for having the write things in for example q7 was an eaves part b was to so a cavity closer and i put in a slate he put an x through it i
    like wtf

ya in my mock i was deducted marks for having the write things in for example q7 was an eaves part b was to so a cavity closer and i put in a slate he put an x through it i
    like wtf

what about a timber frame detail detail say a window, eves or door head ?

like wtf

No i mean your first floor detailing of a timber frame build. Wat construction book are ye using??
    Yea u cant judge too much on the mocks. Ur defo guaranteed to go up a bit i think anyway in the real thing.

• Advertisement

jimbob1255 wrote: »
    No i mean your first floor detailing of a timber frame build. Wat construction book are ye using??
    Yea u cant judge too much on the mocks. Ur defo guaranteed to go up a bit i think anyway in the real thing.

the construction studies today book thats like ten years old its **** what one do you have ?

the construction studies today book thats like ten years old its **** what one do you have ?

I have the new book by educate.ie. If u cud get ur hands on it somehow if u knew someone else who had it or anything at the back of it is all the drawings fully done out with measurements. Really handy and at least u know ur not forgetting anything.

I would imagine that the teacher was just trying to get you to get ALL the detail not just 12 points. That is how I generally correct exams up to Christmas in 6th year, there is no point in knowing the 12 basic points of a drawing if they change the question and suddenly you now only know 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

The drawing questions for our mock was marked seriously brutal :(

seavill wrote: »
    I would imagine that the teacher was just trying to get you to get ALL the detail not just 12 points. That is how I generally correct exams up to Christmas in 6th year, there is no point in knowing the 12 basic points of a drawing if they change the question and suddenly you now only know 6.

hi i was wondering are you a teacher of C.S if so what can they ask you to draw as a timber frame what would you recommend to go over ?

hi i was wondering are you a teacher of C.S if so what can they ask you to draw as a timber frame what would you recommend to go over ?

Timber frame external wall obviously but in addition to that junction of first floor and wall was asked one year. Timber frame wall and window. Timber frame wall and door. Timber frame wall and roof junction.

Also passive house detailing in a drawing question will come up sometime soon over the coming years I believe

do yous think sewage will come this year seen it did not last year. what are the chances of heating coming up again. could sound come up aswell seen its been a while ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Robert Delahunt

Nicke011 wrote: »
    From where do you study passive housing? I heard a lot of people counting on that, where can find it? Does anyone have any notes or something?

I found a good website which helped me a lot, EnergyQuarter has video tutorials on passive houses with fact sheets and a pop quiz.

I found a good website which helped me a lot, EnergyQuarter has video tutorials on passive houses with fact sheets and a pop quiz.

is it free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Robert Delahunt

is it free?

There are shorter ones which are free but you have to pay for the longer ones, there are really good though

Advertisement