Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what gyms in Dublin allow personal training?

Options
  • 26-05-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, i'm a personal trainer who is looking to expand to other gyms in Dublin. Does any know any gyms that allow personal trainers to operate for a fee? And if you know how much they charge that would be a great help as well.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

Most of the gyms would let you use it if you set the right amount of cash you pay per customer you train. Your customers would have to sign up to the gym or pay a daily fee. Ask around, approach gym owners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hanman111

kult wrote: »
    Most of the gyms would let you use it if you set the right amount of cash you pay per customer you train. Your customers would have to sign up to the gym or pay a daily fee. Ask around, approach gym owners etc.
    I already have the use of 2 gyms in north county Dublin that don't insist that the people i train are members. I'm looking for more enlightned gym owners like these out in the greater Dublin area. Rang a few already and they don't allow outside PT at all (narrow minded if you ask me)

They do not allow outside PTs? Strange, that's cash for them and for you. Most gyms where you customer do not sign up will charge you little more per customer, that's all.

Btw what gyms do you use if you do not mind telling

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They do not allow outside PTs? Strange, that's cash for them and for you
    Not necessarily. A smaller gym might lose out by not letting external PTs but larger gyms with their own in house PTs risk undercutting their own services, in the long run they'd lose out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mellor wrote: »
    Not necessarily. A smaller gym might lose out by not letting external PTs but larger gyms with their own in house PTs risk undercutting their own services, in the long run they'd lose out.

And there's the liability and reputational risk too. There's very little upside to it.

• Advertisement

Liability - each qualified pt has own insurance etc and if the trainer is bad then just kick him out, so no risk of losing reputation etc. Imo it is win win situation if both parties get on and set it up right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Liability - each qualified pt has own insurance etc and if the trainer is bad then just kick him out, so no risk of losing reputation etc. Imo it is win win situation if both parties get on and set it up right.

Public liability insurance.

Hanley wrote: »
    Public liability insurance.

personal trainers have insurance which covers pt and the person who pt trains. It all depends on insurance type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

From my experience in commercial gyms getting external personal trainers in sends the wrong signals to existing staff (who themselves can be understandably territirial). Often the externs don't show the same respect to the place because there is no accountability and often don't offer enough financially to warrant having them around.

I know of a couple if commercial gyms that charge 500+ rent a month, some over 1000, so unless someone is going to take 20 clients in with them its not really viable for the PT either.

Insurance aside the gym owners often just dont want people around that are working but not for them. While I can understand that this makes it pretty hard for PTs getting started I do think its pretty justifiable from the other perspective too. If I owned a gym and someone asked me to rent space Id be very cautious about how their service might reflect on me. Even if I took a percentage of their hourly rate (say 20%.. assuming 50 is standard hourly rate) do I really care about a whopping 10er an hour from someone I dont know?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

personal trainers have insurance which covers pt and the person who pt trains. It all depends on insurance type.
    That's professional indemnity insurance, it covers the PT for services provided in a professional capacity.
    It doesn't cover public liability, which is general cover for personal injury to the public in association with business operation. The basic fact that he is increasing traffic to the gym increases the liability risk. Add to that the fact that he might increase the general risk, e.g. say he spills water and somebody slips while he is going to clean it up - the gym is liable. The equipment is also likely a gym liability.
    That's only 2 examples, it's not even always one or the other, there could be a lot of overlap.

• Advertisement

I know plenty of gyms who do not have any kind of insurance and whoever wants to claim can claim from the council because whatever happened inside the gym ( injury like ) it happened " outside on a public road" etc. Many gyms operate like that for fact and nobody cares. I am pt and have insurance which covers me and person I train and even in the gym with no public liability insurance it covers me and the person I train. Went through that many times had some accidents etc. Anyway I do not do any pt no more, bored to hell.

Advertisement