Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Levin Insurance

Options
  • 26-05-2014 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question but would it be possible to insure a 1.6 Levin on a provisional license under a named driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

you should get a quote & FO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Notch000 wrote: »
    you should get a quote & FO

FO? Assuming that means find out not f**k off! Im wondering if people have done this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You mean fronting?
    It's frowned upon but yes.

How old are you?

CianRyan wrote: »
    You mean fronting?

How old are you?

Am.. for purpose of legality I'll say no :P I plan on always being accompanied blah blah..

I'm 19 turning 20 near the end of the year

9bred4 wrote: »
    Am.. for purpose of legality I'll say no :P I plan on always being accompanied blah blah..

I'm 19 turning 20 near the end of the year

Well, what you're not planning on doing can still be quite expensive at your age but I've known lads of a similar age insuring similar cars just how you don't describe with no issues. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No.

Chance.

Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i wouldn't get my hopes up. i'm 24, 6 years NCB and a full license and i'm finding it hard to find anyone interested in insuring my glanza. i'd imagine the levin is very similar.

I really want one ha! They're a lovely looking car. Is there any cheaper alternative that may avoid the insurance bracket but look the part?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the "Levin FZ" with the 1.5 or 1.6 4a-fe engine would be similar looking... watered down considerably in terms of performance but insurance will probably ride you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not really. Not at 19 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Interestingly., son got quotes for Fiesta, Golf, Civic and a few more, all 1.6, Fiesta (zetec S) less than a grand... the others over €2000 (he's 25 and has two or three years NCB in his own name)

Have to pick the right car...(Fiesta is 120PS so pretty nippy)

corktina wrote: »
    Interestingly., son got quotes for Fiesta, Golf, Civic and a few more, all 1.6, Fiesta (zetec S) less than a grand... the others over €2000 (he's 25 and has two or three years NCB in his own name)

Have to pick the right car...(Fiesta is 120PS so pretty nippy)

I currently have a 01 Fiesta at the moment, I want to upgrade to something bigger and nicer looking! Fiesta's are nippy alright I can vouch for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You mean fronting?

How old are you?

Its not fronting if you tell them of your intention for the named driver to be the primary driver.

I currently have a 01 Fiesta at the moment, I want to upgrade to something bigger and nicer looking! Fiesta's are nippy alright I can vouch for that!

try a zetec S...they look better and go much better. Collectable and getting rare. Have their own club in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

djimi wrote: »
    Its not fronting if you tell them of your intention for the named driver to be the primary driver.

The policy holder has to be the primary user of the car, the named driver has to be the one that uses it less often

djimi wrote: »

they charge nowadays based on the biggest risk anyway, so there is little point in fronting (they got wise)

The policy holder has to be the primary user of the car, the named driver has to be the one that uses it less often

Nope. I have confirmed this with my insurer (Liberty); basically the named driver can be the primary driver provided you have informed them of this when taking out the policy. They will price the policy according to the highest risk, in this case the named driver.

they charge nowadays based on the biggest risk anyway, so there is little point in fronting (they got wise)

Pretty much, from what I can tell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

try a zetec S...they look better and go much better. Collectable and getting rare. Have their own club in the UK!

They're rare enough here alright, but plentiful in the UK. They do look the best of that class, Fiesta ST aside.

cheapest to insure, if not the best in class. It's not really worth importing them....VRT will be a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

FO? Assuming that means find out not f**k off! Im wondering if people have done this

I ment find out of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

cheapest to insure, if not the best in class. It's not really worth importing them....VRT will be a killer.

the Zetec S is best in class? Never drove one but ive been told the chassis is very nice but isnt the engine a bit of a let down in comparison to other 1.6 engines coming from Japan the 4age in the Levin, the B16b in the Civic, the 4G92 in the Mirage Mivec (and if i dont mention it Cian will be giving out) the SR 16 in the VZR Pulsar

So would the general consensus be that the Levin would be too expensive for me, I was considering a Civic maybe also but I was told I would get rode for insurance on that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

People here can only give an educated guess based on their experience and intuition but at the end of the day it is not a definitive answer. If you want a more definitive answer then the only way to get that is by getting quotes from insurance companies. There is no other way.

bazz26 wrote: »
    People here can only give an educated guess based on their experience and intuition but at the end of the day it is not a definitive answer. If you want a more definitive answer then the only way to get that is by getting quotes from insurance companies. There is no other way.

I know sure! I just like hearing opinions on other cars too so I know whether or not the car will be a bucket!

VZR would probably be the cheapest to insure out if the Japs, 170 compared to the Civic SiR's 160 too!

And just to point out, the SR16VE N1 made 200bhp. The highest N/A BHP:Liter ratio ever until the Enzo was made. :pac:

So much want.

And just to point out, the SR16VE N1 made 200bhp. The highest N/A BHP:Liter ratio ever until the Enzo was made. :pac:

Ya lost me there boss ha

Short answer, buy the Nissan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

projectgtr wrote: »
    the Zetec S is best in class? Never drove one but ive been told the chassis is very nice but isnt the engine a bit of a let down in comparison to other 1.6 engines coming from Japan the 4age in the Levin, the B16b in the Civic, the 4G92 in the Mirage Mivec (and if i dont mention it Cian will be giving out) the SR 16 in the VZR Pulsar

The fiesta would be in the class below a civic, Levin and pulsar though, but yeah the Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Toyota have better performing units. Honda and Nissan especially have superb 1.6 engines with excellent performance.

Still not certain the fiesta is best in its class though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

VZR would probably be the cheapest to insure out if the Japs, 170 compared to the Civic SiR's 160 too!

So much want.

The civic is a far superior car to a pulsar though in term of build quality and dynamically. It offers far more assured handling than the Almera based pulsar which has very basic suspension compared to the civic's sophisticated double wishbone fully independent setup.

Advertisement