Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google services suddenly using all my battery!

Options
  • 26-05-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Since yesterday afternoon when I uninstalled a stupid pointless game called Crystalux or something my battery has been draining extremely quickly. A quick look at the battery use indicator tells me that 'google play services' managed to eat 82% of the power over a six hour period, leaving me with 12% at 4pm. I made no phonecalls, barely touched my phone all day.
    I have a Sony Ericsson Experia Z.
    I'm useless at this sort of thing, i need somebody to tell me what to do. If I uninstall the offending 'google play services' will my phone still work? Obviously it's no use to me if it doesn't last a full day.
    Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

It sometimes happens to me for no obvious reason, I use the old fix of powering off the phone, leave for thirty seconds and switch on again, in effect you're rebooting the phone so only the processes that need to be running are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Having the same problem and more with my Sony Xperia Z since I accepted the software upgrade to Android 4.4.2 over the weekend!

- Battery is draining rapidly with Google Play services the main reason (over 80%)
    - Phone is running very hot to touch.
    - Bluetooth is not working in the car any more!
    - Some problems with sound from the ear speaker.

As Google Play Services is important, I wouldn't try to uninstall it.
    I'm gonna try and find out if there's any way to remove this version and go back to the previous stable software.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Since yesterday afternoon when I uninstalled a stupid pointless game called Crystalux or something my battery has been draining extremely quickly. A quick look at the battery use indicator tells me that 'google play services' managed to eat 82% of the power over a six hour period, leaving me with 12% at 4pm. I made no phonecalls, barely touched my phone all day.
    I have a Sony Ericsson Experia Z.
    I'm useless at this sort of thing, i need somebody to tell me what to do. If I uninstall the offending 'google play services' will my phone still work? Obviously it's no use to me if it doesn't last a full day.
    Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Unless your phone is rooted, I don't think that you'll be able to uninstall Google Play Services. I wouldn't think that would be advisable on an Android phone anyway.

I'd guess that something else is causing the problem.

You could try downloading Trustgo antivirus and Malwarebytes anti malware for a start. If you update and run those, you should find out if there is malware which is causing this issue. Even if you find nothing, you can rule malware out as one possible cause.

See what happens anyway.

If that doesn't turn up anything, maybe there is a good free battery app which could pinpoint what may be causing the problem.

You don't have automatic updates selected in your Google Playstore settings, do you? What about automatic updates for your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Just checked the sony forums and spotted this thread about android 4.4.2 issues. Not sure if its the cause of your problem.
    4.4.2 Problems

and this
    Xperia-Z-Kitkat-update-ruins-my-phone

Also try this solution. Haven't tried it myself yet cos my phone battery is dead! :-)
    Battery Drain workaround

..another possible solution:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playfulgeeks.gservicefix

Advertisement